Even the most unflappable of new mums starts to crack at some point.
This is why we need to conceal the cracks with – you guessed it – a great foundation. Our daily foundation provides the base for our sultry eyes or our pretty lip-glossed pout, the things that make us look special on the outside when we’re tired on the inside.
At a glance
- Finding a good foundation will help you skin look refreshed
- Get help choosing the right shade – ask the assistant or take a friend along
- It's worth spending money on the right foundation but they don't have to be too expensive
Finding that perfect foundation
A good foundation has a lot to prove, but once you've found “the one” your skin will look like it’s having the best day ever. Here are some of the latest foundations to hit the shelves as well as a few handy tips to help you find your perfect match.
Giorgio Armani Maestro Complexion Perfector
This foundation is worth every penny. The big draw? Most foundations are made up of 20% water and 80% oil but this is comprised of 60% oil meaning it glides beautifully over the skin, blending in with the natural skin tone and covering all imperfections. The natural oils are non-comodogenic, which mean they don’t block the pores, and the foundation is completely water and powder free, so the colour is not going to slide off or look cakey on the skin. A little goes a long way too which is good news for the shopping list.
Clarins Skin Illusion Mineral & Plant Extracts Loose Powder Foundation
Do you have sensitive, very oily or acneic skin? Fear not, Clarins is here to save the day. Mineral foundations such as this one are non-aggravating and rejuvenating for the skin. This one even contains Pink Algae Extract, which, although it sounds unpleasant, is known for its phenomenal hydrating properties. And good news for busy ladies, it’s very quick and easy to apply. Simply swirl the integrated brush into the product, tap off the excess and apply on to the skin in a circular motion. The more you brush the product into the skin, the more flawless the foundation looks. Who doesn’t love that?
Maybelline Fit Me Foundation
Rejoice! The best selling foundation in the US has come to our shores. And anything that promises to cover up spots, dark circles and redness is worthy of your bathroom cabinet, no? It not only blends beautifully, but once you’ve picked the right shade you can buy the complimenting concealer and powder. Don’t you love it when a decision is made for you?
Foundation Shopping, do's and don'ts
- Do ask the sales assistants for advice. They know their products inside and out
- Don't be bullied into buying a shade you’re not 110% sure about. If the foundation has been applied in-store then don’t be afraid to walk outside and look at your skin in natural light
- Do take a friend with you. The best area to test foundations is either on your jaw line or on the chest directly below your chin. A friend will be able to see these areas on you better than you can see them on yourself, even when looking into a mirror
- Don't forget to think about your skincare needs. Newer foundations contain skincare benefits too so you need to not only match your skin tone but your skin type
- Do think about buying two shades. Your face is made up of more than one colour so you may find mixing two shades gives you your best fit