The thrill of a theme park
You don’t need to travel to the other side of the world to get your theme park thrills with the UK offering a range of attractions for little ones and older kids alike.
At a glance
- Suitable for many ages
- There are many types of theme park
- If you have pre-schoolers keep costs down and go mid week outside school holidays
You're never too far from a theme park
Based all around the country and making their mark in seaside resorts, you’re never too far from a rollercoaster or those tamer teapots. Make these the centre of your holiday with some parks offering overnight on-site or local accommodation or make it a holiday treat for the family by doing just a day.
Just remember to take an old pram – these can be left behind in queues – and look out for special two for one deals on the back of cereal packets or on voucher websites.
Passports and Visas
You won’t need to worry about travel documents with this type of holiday.
Health and safety
In the summer peak season queues can be long. Make sure you keep on top of the suncream during those sunny days and take water to avoid any burns or dehydration. It’s also wise to comply with height restrictions on rides – they are there for a reason!
When to go
If you have pre-school children take advantage and go before the schools break up and during the week. The parks will be less busy and you won’t have to queue for as long.
Things to do
Explore a range of themed attractions such as Peppa Pig World, The Angry Birds Land or Thomas Land. Or ride Europe’s longest rollercoaster at Lightwater Valley.
Who offers this type of holiday?
There’s a huge range of theme parks in the UK here’s just a few:
- Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire
- Thorpe Park, Chertsey, Surrey
- Chessington World of Adventures, Chessington, Surrey
- Paultons Park, The New Forest, Hampshire
- Drayton Manor, Tamworth, Staffordshire
- Lightwater Valley, Ripon, North Yorkshire
- Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Blackpool, Lancashire
- Dinosaur Adventure Lenwade, Norfolk
- Flamingo Land Resort, Malton, North Yorkshire
- Gulliver's Land, Newlands, Milton Keynes
- Legoland, Windsor, Berskire
- Woodlands Family Theme Park, Totnes, South Devon