Quantcast

Mum warns of meningitis signs

Mum warns of meningitis signs

Friday 14 September 2012

Paralympic winner Jonnie Peacock's mum has emphasised to parents the importance of being aware of the symptoms of meningitis.

Athlete Peacock lost a leg after contracting the disease 14 years ago and almost lost his life. His mother Linda Roberts stressed that spotting the signs of the disease early can be vital.

Peacock was only five when he contracted the condition and as a consequence lost a leg, but he went on to claim the T44 100 metres title at the recent Paralympics in London, with a time of 10.90 seconds.

As a youngster with the condition his parents were told he probably would not survive after being taken to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge.

He subsequently, due to blood poisoning, had to have his leg amputated just below the knee and to save his life he was put into an induced coma.

The Meningitis Research Foundation charity has teamed up with Roberts and she said: "Jonnie was diagnosed with Meningococcal meningitis and septicaemia at the age of five in October 1998.

"His three older sisters Bethany, Rebekah and Hannah had been ill with a virus so when Jonnie had a temperature I thought he had picked up the same bug.

"But over the weekend his condition deteriorated quickly, he was delirious and then covered in a bright red rash, so I wrapped him in his duvet, put him in the car and rushed to Addenbrooke's Hospital."

Copyright Press Association 2012

Click here for more news stories

Comments

It would be helpful if you

It would be helpful if you also listed the symptoms with this article