What Breastfeeding accessories do you need?
The 64 thousand dollar question for new mums! Before you have your baby, it’s easy to be persuaded that you need tonnes of accessories for breastfeeding – special cushions, bottle warmers, insulated bottle carriers, feeding chairs...
The truth is, you won’t really know what extras you need until you really need them! Of course a steriliser is essential if you are expressing or bottle feeding, but with everything else it makes sense to wait a bit before committing yourself.
However, we’ve highlighted a few products that mums tell us they really couldn’t have done without.
Which breastfeeding accessories are right for you?
Each system has its pros and cons – it’s really up to your lifestyle and budget:
- This is a really expensive purchase, but so many mums say they love theirs. It’s easy to find the perfect breastfeeding position for you, and it’s supremely comfortable (you’ll probably be spending a fair few hours in it, especially in the beginning!)
Nipple cream - Can be helpful if you’ve got really sore, cracked nipples.
How much will they cost?
Deep breath - a feeding chair can cost you £200 or more. Nipple cream is around £10 for a 40g tube.
* If you don’t end up using your nipple cream for its intended purpose, mums say it’s great for dry skin and to put on minor cuts. Some even use it as a lip balm!
* Once you’ve finished feeding, your feeding chair can be used as a story time chair, or even as a comfy armchair. Multi-tasking!
Ready to buy?
Take a look at some of the popular breastfeedng accessories below.
Lansinoh Breastmilk Storage Bags
RRP: £9.99 - Buy now
Lansinoh’s Breastmilk Storage Bags are pre-sterilised and feature a double zipper for a secure seal, ideal for storing your precious breastmilk in the fridge or freezer. The gusseted bottom allows them to stand or lie down for easy storage, and the write on tab makes it simple to keep track of use by dates.
- BPA and BPS free and made from food safe Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE), so no toxins will reach the breastmilk
- The new design comes with a tamper-evident and secure tear-away top with double seal for no spills
- They benefit from a double sealed side seams for extra strength
- The gusseted bottom allows for expansion enabling you to store the bag standing or lying down for easy storage
- Write on tab is above the fill area to eliminate the potential risk of puncture and milk contamination
- It's handy pour spout allows for easy transfer of milk
What you get
- Made from Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE)
- 25 x 100% Bispheriol- A (BPA) Free Breastmilk Storage Bags
- 50 x 100% Bispheriol- A (BPA) Free Breastmilk Storage Bags
Why our mums love the Lansinoh Breastmilk Storage Bags ....
- Perfect for freezing breast milk. These are really easy to use and take up next to no space in my freezer. In use them for taking to My parents for sleepovers with Nanny and grandad and they have commented on how well they defrost and how the bags hold their structure for pouring. I always keep a spare one handy.
- A must have for all breastfeeding mums who want to store expressed milk in fridge or freezer - great value and quality
- These bags are brilliant. I have stored my milk in them in the freezer and have had no leakage. They are easy to use and come with a double zip lock, I would definitely recommend them.
Laura Anne Lachucik
Lansinoh HPA Lanolin Nipple Cream
RRP: £10.99 - Buy now
The UK’s bestselling cream to soothe and protect sore nipples during breastfeeding.
Size: 40ml tube
- Contains ultra-purified lanolin
- No additives, preservatives or chemicals
- Safe and hypoallergenic
- No need to remove before feeding
- No taste, colour or smell
- Awarded the British Allergy Foundation seal of approval
Why we love Lansinoh HPA Lanolin Nipple Cream ....
- So many mums say they would never have managed to carry on breastfeeding had they not discovered Lansinoh, especially in the early days when feeding is something of a shock to your tender nipples!
- Even though midwives say that, technically, breastfeeding shouldn’t hurt at all and it’s incorrect positioning of the baby that causes sore nipples – they will happily advise mums to use this cream if they run into problems. It’s still important to find out the cause of your sore nipples, though, so it doesn’t become a long-term problem.
- Love the fact that this cream contains absolutely nothing apart from specially refined lanolin, so it’s 100% natural and safe.
- Babies don’t reject its smell – they hardly seem to notice it’s there, so you can breastfeed them while knowing your nipples are protected.
- It may not say this on the packet, but nipple cream makes great lip balm for mums (why do your lips always seem dry when you have a baby?) and is also brilliant for dry, sore skin.
- It seems expensive, but you only use a tiny amount and mums agree it’s far better than others on the market.
Tutti Bambini Glider Nursing Chair
RRP: £189 - Buy now
Good value but smart-looking feeding chair with matching footstool and gentle gliding motion.
- Made of solid wood
- Gliding/rocking motion
- 3-position recline
- Matching footstool also rocks/glides
- Dry-cleanable cushions
Size: H104cm x L69cm x W74cm
Why we love the Tutti Bambini Glider Nursing Chair ....
- Mums who have developed bad backs from constantly sitting in awkward positions to breastfeed really swear by this chair as it’s incredibly comfortable and easy to find a position which suits you. You might not even mind getting up for night feeds!
- Loving the pockets on the arms where you can put muslins, wipes, phone, emergency chocolates.....
- It’s a good value chair, and although the cushions aren’t as thick as on some feeding chairs, it’s also a lot more affordable.
- The matching footstool has a plastic cover to keep the cushions clean. All the cushions are made of an incredibly soft fabric.
- Loads of mums use their chair later for toddler story time, for relaxing in after a long day – or even as an extra armchair in the sitting room.