What is a group 2-3 car seat?
Group 2-3 car seats are designed for children aged roughly 3 ½ to 12 years (15kg to 36kg).
These seats are ideal for older children until they can safely use an adult seat belt, and they’re certainly popular. But your children still need maximum protection for every single car journey, and there are two big benefits of a high-backed car seat as opposed to a booster seat that is now not recommended for children. First, the seat belt be held in the correct position across your child’s body. And second, they will also be better protected from a side impact.
Which group 2-3 car seat is right for you?
A whole host of factors might influence your decision – comfy padding, adjustable parts, handy drinks containers and removable covers.
How much will a group 2-3 car seat cost?
Prices start around £40 and go into the hundreds.
Top tips for buying a group 2-3 car seat
Because children grow at different rates, your child’s weight is much more important than their age, so bear that in mind when deciding when’s best to move them to the next stage.
When forward facing, do not use on a front passenger seat unless your vehicle manufacturer declares it safe to do so in your vehicle handbook. Always check the vehicle handbook for correct vehicle seat positioning.
Ready to buy?
Take a look at some of the popular Group 2-3 car seats below.
Joie Trillo LX 2/3
RRP: £80 - Buy now
Designed and engineered to give your little one a friendly boost from four years on, with enhanced safety features keeping children fully protected while out and about.
- Suitable for children from 15-36kg (approx 4-12 years).
- Full body side impact protection from head to hips.
- Guard Surround Safety gives your child ultimate side impact protection.
- Guard Surround protection can be removed for use in smaller vehicle.
- ISOSAFE connectors anchors seat to the car’s ISOFIX connection points.
- Intuitive seat belt guides.
Age: Suitable from 4 - 12 years
Product weight: 5kg
Why we love the Trillo LX 2/3 ....
- This car seat is a good safe choice for the Group 2/3. Having that safety from impact is an essential for a child’s car seat.
- We adore the great value of this seat as it can last right from 4 up until they don’t need car seats anymore.
- We love the reassurance that this seat has full body side impact protection from head to hips.
- The guard surround protection is probably our favourite bit for ultimate impact protections and the fact that it can be removed for smaller cars is an added bonus.
RRP: £154.99 approx - Buy now
The Hauck Bodyguard fits all cars, and lasts from approx 3-12 years, making it a great all round, grow-with-the-family car seat
- Suitable for children from 15-36kg
- Work in all cars with a standard 3-point seat belt
- Adjustable seat position and backrest
- Detachable seat cover for cleaning
Age: approx 3 to 12 years or 15 -36kg
Product weight: 7.3kg
Dimensions: H80cm x W48.5cm x D42.5cm
Fitting: Main car 3 point seat belt
Why we love the Hauck Bodyguard ....
- The Bodyguard can be easily switched between any car that has a standard seat-belt system, so totally hassle-free when travelling or staying with friends
- The covers can be removed for washing off spills and car sick!
- It comes in 5 fab colour-ways
- The three reclining positions are great for snoozing kids on long journeys!
Britax Adventure Black Thunder
RRP: £59.99 - Buy now
A great value, high-backed, ergonomically designed lightweight booster-seat for kids from 4-12 years
- Side impact protection
- Height adjustable head-rest and back-rest
- Pull out snack tray and drinks holder
- Seat-belt guides to ensure the 3-point harness is correctly positioned on your child's body
Age/weight: 15kg to 36kg
Dimensions: H67cm x W44cm x D44cm
Fitting: Main 3 point car seat belt only
Why we love the Britax Adventure Black Thunder ....
- It is very lightweight and easy to install
- It will last for ages – a real grow-with-the-family seat that can be easily moved between vehicles
- Kids love the 'grown up' design
- The cover can be removed for washing!
Recaro Monza Nova 2 Seatfix
RRP: £160 - Buy now
A stylish, robust seat which kids will love thanks to its inbuilt technology!
- Has ISOfix connectors
- Headrest can be adjusted to 11 height positions
- Comes with an MP3 player pocket and built-in RECARO sound system with integrated speakers
- Has additional padding on side and head areas
Age/weight: 36months to 12 years or15 to 36kg
Dimensions: H67cm x W49cm x D34cm
Fitting: Isofox or main seat belt
Why we love the Recaro Monza Nova 2 Seatfix...
- The built in sound system is a genius idea for keeping kids entertained!
- It won a Which Best Buy award in 2013
- You can use it with just the seatbelts if you do not have ISOfix
- You can wash the seat cover and order replacements if needs be!