What baby skincare products are there?
Caring for your new baby is your number one priority and protecting their young, delicate skin is a must. Newborn skin is delicate as is your baby’s immune system.
This is important to remember when searching for the right baby products to use on your little one. Ensuring you avoid chemicals, fragrances and dyes in products will help you protect your little one from newborn skin irritation, dryness, chaffing and rashes.
There are hundreds of baby skincare products around designed to protect your baby’s skin. With specially designed creams to protect and soothe your baby from nappy rash, to top-to-toe bath washes and tear-free shampoos that are gentle enough to use on even newborn skin.
Whatever baby skincare product you are looking for, there is something on the market to suit everyone’s needs and budgets. From supermarket own brands right to the tried and tested named brands that have been around for many years.
What products are right for your baby?
Every baby’s skin is different and has different needs. There are products out there designed for different skin types and skin conditions, but as with anything with your baby, if you are in doubt what’s best for your baby’s skin, talk to your doctor or health visitor for advice.
How much do baby skincare products cost?
The price of products and different brands can vary from a supermarket own brand which may start from as little as £2, where as a well-known brand name of a similar product may be nearer £10.
It’s important to be aware of the product labels and what they are telling you. For example, products that say they are “PH balanced” is good for your baby’s skin as your young baby’s protective layer of skin is close to PH neutral meaning if the product is PH balanced it won’t affect the protective layer.
The term “alcohol free” is often present on baby products as alcohol can be used in adult products to speed up absorption, but this is not good for your baby’s skin as alcohol can be very drying and can irate young skin.
If your baby suffers from any form of eczema it is important to avoid all perfumed products, including natural fragrances such as plant extracts.
Which products are best if my baby suffers from eczema?
As well as avoiding fragranced products, if your little one suffers with eczema, it is important to use very bland and emollient-based products. Also known as medical moisturisers, emollient creams and ointments can also be used to wash your baby’s hair and body to ensure they are free from any fragranced products.
Ready to buy?
Take a look at some of the popular baby skincare products below.
Burt’s Bees – Baby Bee Multipurpose Ointment
Offer price: £8.95 - Buy now
- A great all round cream to moisturise baby’s skin.
- It also acts as a barrier to prevent dryness.
- The cream is 100% natural, non-irritating and petroleum-free.
- It’s ideal for everyday use.
- The cream will leave baby’s skin soft and supple to the touch.
- As well as moisturising, it is also ideal for using as a nappy barrier cream.
Why we love the Baby Bee Multipurpose Ointment ....
- We love that this cream contains moisture-rich shea butter that really nourishes baby’s skin.
- We adore the sweet, subtle smell of this cream.
- Loving the soft way it leaves baby’s skin when applied.
- It works really well as a barrier cream.
- The fact that it can be used as a moisturiser and nappy barrier, means you don’t need to fill your changing bag and nursery with loads of different creams, this one does it all.
Oilatum – Fragrance Free Shower Gel
Offer price: £7.99 - Buy now
- A fragrance free shower gel that is safe for babies that are sensitive to fragrances.
- It is designed to be used on wet skin to treat eczema and dry skin.
- The shower gel soothes, moisturises and conditions skin.
- It can help relieve irritated skin.
- The shower gel is safe to use for adults and for children.
Why we love the Fragrance Free Shower Gel ....
- This shower gel is a great, mild choice that can really help dry skin conditions.
- We adore the gentle smell and easy way this shower gel applies to wet skin.
- Your skin is left feeling soft after use.
- We particularly love how this shower gel is a daily way to help even eczema prone skin.
Sudocrem – Care and Protect
Offer price: £4.29 - Buy now
- Aimed specifically at protecting baby’s skin against nappy rash.
- The cream offers triple protection to avoid the soreness and irritation of nappy rash.
- It seals the skin’s natural moisture that leaves skin silky soft to the touch.
- It protects against external irritants and rubbing that are the main causes of nappy rash.
- The cream contains Vitamin E, Pro Vitamin B5 and is hypoallergenic.
- The guard layer it leaves helps prevent infection.
Why we love Care and Protect....
- We love that this cream leaves a visible barrier on baby’s skin so you can see how well it is protecting.
- We adore the easy application of this cream
- With Vitamin E and Pro Vitamin B5 you know your baby’s skin is well protected.
- As you can apply even when nappy rash has appeared, we love that using this cream can help prevent the skin getting infections.
- It seals baby’s skin and it leaves it beautifully soft.
Johnson’s – Baby Skincare Essentials Box
Offer price: £26.49 - Buy now
- A complete starter pack for looking after your baby’s delicate skin.
- The set from Johnson’s includes: Shampoo, wipes, baby lotion, baby oil, bedtime bath, top to toe bath, baby bath and cotton pads.
- A trusted name in baby skincare, John’s Essential Box is a reasonably priced way to get all their baby skincare products to try.
- The wipes come in a handy box that can be used for refills.
- The complete set of shampoos, creams and bath products are all suitable for a young baby.
Why we love the Baby Skincare Essentials Box....
- This set is a great starter kit for your newborn’s skincare and having a selection helps you determine which products are right for you and your baby.
- We love that Johnson’s is such a trusted name in baby skincare and offer a variety of products for you to try on your baby’s skin.
- A bonus, the wipes box can be used over and over again to keep your wipes moist.