What are pregnancy pillows?
Also known as maternity support pillows, these are – at first glance – strangely shaped pillows that may help you get a decent sleep at long last.
Eight in every 10 mums-to-be find it difficult to sleep, especially in the last trimester – and will try anything to get a bit of peaceful shut-eye.
Some find that putting an ordinary pillow between your knees and another one supporting your bump while you lie on your side will do the trick.
But others still can’t get comfortable – so if this is you, a maternity pillow might be worth a try.
Which pillow is right for you?
Pregnancy pillows come in all sorts of weird and wonderful shapes, and the good news is that many double up as pillows to support your baby when breastfeeding later on. In fact some mums who just can’t get on with their pillow in pregnancy find it invaluable once the baby is born.
Most are body-length and gently curved so you can put one end between your knees, have it supporting your bump and even put your head on the other end!
Some have a quilted base to go under your body to stop you rolling on to your back during the night – something that isn’t good for your baby.
Others are more like a ‘6’ shape and are designed to contour to your body to support your bump, hips and back. Later on, you can use these as a feeding pillow or even as a toddler’s chair!
Then there are U-shaped ones which make brilliant feeding supports. They can also be used as a prop when your baby is learning to sit up, a few months down the line.
When choosing which product suits you best, it really is down to personal taste – what suits one person might not suit another.
How much will a pregnancy pillow cost?
It’s not a cheap option: most good quality pregnancy pillows will cost £40 to £50.
- If you’re not sure which one to go for, why not see if you can try out your friends’ ones before buying to make sure you find it comfortable. There’s so much choice out there, you’re sure to find one for you in the end!
- As it’s quite an expensive purchase, it’s a great idea for your baby shower present list, if you’re having one.
- If you’re tall, check how long the pillow is before buying – not all of them work for those of us over 5ft 9!
Ready to buy?
Take a look at some of the popular pregnancy pillows and maternity pillows below.
Bounty Boutique - Babymoov Dotwork 2017 Dream Belt
RRP £55.00 - Buy now
Stop the endless struggle of uncomfortable sleep during pregnancy with the new and innovative pregnancy Dotwork 2017 Dream Belt from Babymoov.
- Co-created with mums and midwives to improve comfort during sleep.
- The 2 shape memory foam reinforcements fill the gap between the hips and mattress while sleeping in side position.
- Bundle includes Dream belt and Maternity pillow
- Tested and approved to help with sleeping issues
Why We love The Dream Belt....
- Memory foam fills helps fill gap between hips and mattress while sleeping on side
- Adjustable belt to fit all sizes
- Stretch fabric adapts to each stage of pregnancy
- Velcro fastening for easy attachment
Dreamgenii Pregnancy And Feeding Support Pillow
RRP: £37.95 - Buy now
A multi-purpose pillow that will support your bump during pregnancy, and help you comfortably hold your baby when feeding after birth.
- Innovative curved shaped supports your bump and legs for a restful night's sleep
- Can be used throughout your pregnancy, as soon as you feel you need support in bed
- Space-saving shape means it does not take up lots of space
- Doubles as a breastfeeding pillow once your baby has arrived
- Has a removable pillow case which can be machine washed
- Approved by midwives for use in pregnancy and when breastfeeding
Dimensions: 44cm x 33cm x 35cm
Why we love the Dreamgenii Pregnancy And Feeding Support Pillow ....
- Totally transforms your night's sleep if you are struggling to get comfy and support your bump – and it encourages you to sleep on your left which docs say is best for baby!
- It's brilliant if you have pelvic pain or symphysis pubis dysfunction and need to have a pillow between your knees to ease the discomfort at night
- So much easier than using lots of pillows to try and get comfy – and much more space efficient in bed, too!
- You can take the case off to wash it which is brill once you start using it as a feeding support pillow!
Widgey Plus Star Pregnancy Pillow
RRP: £29.99 - Buy now
A beautifully designed pregnancy and nursery pillow to keep you comfortable in bed, and your baby snug while feeding
- Innovative design takes the weight from your bump when you are in bed to allow you to have a good night's sleep
- The pillow contours and moulds to your own individual shape
- The slimline design means it doesn't take up too much of your bed
- After birth, the pillow can be used to support your baby on your lap at feeding time
- Cover is 100% cotton, and can be removed for machine washing
Dimensions: 32cm x 44cm x 26cm
Why we love the Widgey Plus Star Pregnancy Pillow....
- The love the funky star print and the fact the cover can be thrown in the washing machine – imperative once baby arrives!
- The shape and design means it doesn't hog the bed like some big pregnancy pillows can – it just lies alongside you, and adapts to your shape
- It is not just a maternity purchase – the pillow can be used for loads of things post-pregnancy (and not just as a breast feeding cushion)because it is so comfy and versatile!
- It would make the perfect present for a pregnant friend who has everything else!
- You can squidge it up and put it in a bag if you want to travel with it and have a comfy night in a strange bed!
Summer Infant Support Body Pillow
RRP: £35.95 - Buy now
A full-length supportive pillow which can be used during your pregnancy and after your baby is born
- Patented shape moulds to mum's body providing good support in bed for bump, hips and legs during pregnancy
- Can be used post-birth as a breastfeeding pillow, baby's tummy time support, or as a toddler cushion
- Has a removable and washable soft cover so can be popped in the machine with the rest of your bed linen
- It's extra large size means your entire body is supported, including your head and neck
Dimensions: 38cm x 17cm x 55cm
Why we love the Summer Infant Support Body Pillow ....
- It is mega versatile and not just as a one off pregnancy product – the fact it can be shaped into a toddler-sized 'chair' or baby support is brill!
- It is really comfy and offers full-length body support for every little ache and niggle during pregnancy
- It is so pliable you can completely adapt it to your shape, so if you want to fold it behind you for sitting up in bed, or just roll it up as a leg prop, you can
- You can wash the cover – essential once baby arrives!
- It stops you from rolling on to your bump in the night by helping you stay in one position