What are double pushchairs?
If you’ve more than one child, a double can be the difference between a good day out and a tantrum-filled disaster – especially if they are close in age, or just too small for a buggy board.
And if you’ve twins or more – doubles are essential (you can get triple buggies, yes!)
Like other buggies, there are many styles to chose from and your decisions should be based on the same principles: amount of storage you have, whether you use your buggy in a busy town with narrow pavements, or on shopping centres and supermarkets where there’s plenty of space and smooth floors! There’s always the 3-wheel option, too.
Twin – Side-by-side double pushchair, usually with the same size seats. Often adjustable, most are suitable for use from birth; just check that at least one seat reclines flat. A very stable option and plenty or storage underneath.
Tandem – One seat in front of the other makes this narrower than a twin. Usually the same width as a standard single, it tackles narrow spaces easily. Many are compatible with an infant carrier car seat, which makes them great if you frequently travel by car.
Three-wheelers – there are a few brands that make a double three-wheeler. Usually these are a tandem, with one behind the other and offer more of an off-road capability than others.
How much to double pushchairs cost?
Prices vary massively, as the range of options is vast. You could pick up a fairly basic twin umbrella for around £150, although the majority are in the region of £200-£250. You can also spend well over £1,000 on a top-end label, then more again on its interchangeable seat options.
Top tips for buying double pushchairs
Doubles are a very personal choice and depend on so many factors, from the age gap between your children, to the journeys that you make with them. Try out as many as you can and even ask friends if you can borrow one for an afternoon.
Weight – Some doubles can be heavy and require strength to get them up and down kerbs. It’s all in the technique!
Trays – once little ones start to grow, a front tray with bottle holder can be really handy. As are top trays for mums, too.
Accessories: Some retailers make generic double rain covers that work across a couple of pushchair manufacturers.
Ready to buy?
Take a look at some of the popular double pushchairs below.
RRP: £305 - Buy now
The B-Agile is a stable and sturdy double buggy for your growing family, but it’s also nimble, light and easy to fold.
- Lightweight aluminium chassis
- Multiple recline positions, including flat for newborns
- Detachable CLICK & GO adapters mean you can create a travel system by adding one car seat
- Fits through standard width doorways
- 5-point safety harness with height adjustable shoulder straps
Age: Birth to 4 years/up to 15kg
Seat recline positions: Multi
Dimensions: L104cm x W78cm x H105cm
Folded: : L72cm x W78cm x H31cm
Why we love the Britax B-Agile....
- It’s lighter than lots of others on the market, and Bounty mums say it’s genuinely easy to fold/unfold with one hand.
- It’s freestanding when folded, which can be a godsend if your hallway is already a bit crammed – and it’s stable so won’t get knocked over by any passing toddlers.
- Despite its lightness, the ride is smooth and it copes with different terrains well – not something you can say about all double buggies.
- A great all-purpose buggy: agile enough for shopping and manoeuvring in tight spaces, but also good for rougher ground.
- We’re loving the flip-flop friendly brakes!
RRP: £1,099 (duo) & £1,219 (twin) - Buy now
One pushchair – so many options. You can turn it into a single, duo or twin, then back again – and use a carrycot or car seat. There are 17 configurations in all.
- Forward and rear facing seat options – or have them facing different directions
- You choose your configuration: Duo for kids of different ages or Twin (or mono for one child)
- Lockable, swivel wheels; converts from 4 to 2 for snow or sand
- Flexible/multiple luggage options with side shopping basket and underseat basket
- Compatible with Maxi-Cosi infant carriers
- Slim design good for tight doorways
Age: Birth to 17kg
Product weight: 15kg
Dimensions: L85 x W74 x 89H
Folded: 52cm x 74cm x 93cm (one-piece fold)
Folded: 91cm x 60cm x 24cm (compact fold)
Why we love the Bugaboo Donkey....
- Steers so smoothly it appears to glide – and has the quality and smart designer looks you expect from Bugaboo.evenly across shoulders back and hips so you can even carry a toddler (should you be brave enough to try).
- Mums comment that this is a great buggy for kids with a small age gap as there are so many seat options.
- Bugaboo might have left us scratching our heads about the name (Donkey. Really?), but it’s got the colours and styling spot on. We adore the fab accessories, too. Warning: you’ll end up wanting them all!
- OK, so it’s expensive, but mums who love it really love it and say you’ll never need to buy another buggy.
Baby Jogger City Mini Twin
RRP: £449.99 - Buy now
A lightweight, manoeuvrable double buggy which folds down quickly and simply, and is stylish at a good price point.
- Quick-Fold technology for fast and easy folding
- Reclinable seats
- Peek-a-boo window on each hood (which is SPF 50)
- Front wheel suspension for a smooth ride
- Lightweight with 8-inch lockable front wheels for different terrains (not suitable for jogging)
Age: Birth to 4 years
Product weight: 12kg
Dimensions: L98cm x W76.5cm x H105.5cm
Folded: H28.5cm x W76cm x L78.5cm
Why we love the Baby Jogger City Mini Twin....
- The hood is unexpectedly brilliant – it comes down so far you don’t need the rain cover unless it’s bucketing down.
- After struggling with other makes’ ingenious but fiddly fold-away mechanisms, it’s something of a relief to fold this one in half – and that’s it, all done.
- A good balance between comfort and city-sharp styling – and it’s still narrow enough for most standard width doorways
- We’re loving the purple and teal for a colour surprise.
Maclaren Twin Techno
RRP: £375 - Buy now
The first umbrella-folding double buggy ever invented which has a huge fan base. It’s light and slim for city shopping but also comfortable for parent and baby.
- Compact umbrella fold
- One-hand fold and recline (5 positions)
- High performance aluminium
- 5-point harness
- Front and rear wheel suspension
Age: Birth to 15kg (per seat)
Dimensions: L68 x W75 x H114
Folded: W55cm x L45cm x H114cm
Why we love the Maclaren Twin Techno....
- There’s a reason this buggy has such a big fan club: folding it is a doddle and it actually fits in even small cars.
- It’s not as long as some, which makes it pretty nifty and manoeuvrable.
- A great option for parents short on space – or for travelling.
- It’s not a glamorous point, but the seat covers are really easy to remove and wash. There are times you’re thankful for this feature!
- Nice and simple – no swapping seats around.