What is a travel system?
Travel systems make buying everything for your baby’s transport needs easy. They are often the best value when buying your infant car seat and first pushchair together.
A travel system comprises a base chassis, to which you can add interchangeable pieces: a carrycot, infant car seat, or seat.
Travel system packages can also include accessories such as a matching changing bag, rain cover or a car seat fixed base.
Package systems: options do vary so double check what’s included in each package.
2-in-1 travel systems – Usually include the pushchair and the car seat within the package. Some offer the chassis and the front or rearward-facing chair.
3-in-1 pram and pushchairs – A 3-in-1 travel system, in addition to the pushchair (and any car seat package) will also include a lie-flat carrycot.
Which travel system is right for you?
Deciding your budget will help you narrow down the choice, so will deciding where and how you will use your pushchair – for example, whether to choose a three-wheeler or more narrow body pushchair. For multi-purpose use, a normal pushchair with swivel and lockable wheels makes a versatile choice.
If you travel a lot by car, then it’s worth choosing a package with an infant carrier car seat included within the price.
How much will a travel system cost?
The price varies between 2-in-1 and 3-in-1 packages. There are excellent, well established brands that offer full 3-in-1 travel systems for as little as £150. Graco and Hauck are good value favourites. Top end brands such as iCandy, SilverCross or Bugaboo cost considerably more.
Top tips for buying a travel system
You don’t have to buy all of your products from one brand. Many infant carriers will fit onto several chassis’. Just check with manufacturers, or in-store.
Lockable front wheels are a real bonus over uneven terrain if you don’t want a full off-road pushchair.
Accessories: You can buy universal rain covers or sun covers and parasols at a fraction of the cost of own-brand.
Ready to buy?
Take a look at some of the popular travel systems below.
RRP: £699 - Buy now
(includes Chassis, coloured Seat Unit, Hood, Apron, Raincover, Insect net & Coloured Seat Liner).
The egg® stroller has been designed in the UK with style conscious parents in mind. Outstanding engineering creates the perfect ride for baby and ultimate ease of use for parents.
- Reversible, three position recline seat unit including concealed storage compartment.
- Five position handle adjustment and five position calf adjustment for comfort.
- Carrycot with lie-flat position.
- Converts to a travel system with a compatible Group 0+ Infant
Carrier Car Seat and a tandem stroller with a tandem
- One-hand fold chassis and free standing when folded.
- Tru-Ride® Technology tyres with lockable front swivel wheels.
Age: Suitable from birth (0+months) up to 25kg
Weight: Chassis with wheels and seat unit: 13.5kg
Unfolded chassis with wheels and seat unit:
106.5cm x 59cm x 88-98cm (variable handle height)
Folded chassis without wheels: 67cm x 23cm x 50cm
Folded chassis with wheels : 67 x 29cm x 59cm
Handle height (adjustable): 94cm-105cm
Why we love the Egg ....
This pushchair simply oozes luxury – it’s a kind of Range Rover Evoque of the travel system world, with plush finishes and eye-catching details. The softly rounded, distinctive shape is actually modelled on a hen’s egg: the whole seat tilts into 3 recline positions, not just the backrest and you can have it forward or rear-facing. There’s plenty of room in there, and the legrest is adjustable, too.
- We adore the funky coloured seat liners: you get one included in the price, but you can buy others to match your outfit, your nails, your baby’s clothes...
- Everything about this buggy feels carefully engineered (as you would expect for the price) with no yanking or fiddling : the hood movement is silent; the seat is properly easy to take in and out with one click; the suspension on the puncture-proof wheels is among the finest you’ll find.
- The handle is probably our favourite bit: the hand-stitched leatherette is cool yet soft to the touch. And tall parents will love the adjustable handlebars, which move into 5 positions – the top one is the highest we’ve ever seen a buggy handle go.
- Loving the press-on, press-off brake – so no scuffed nail polish when wearing sandals or flip-flops.
- It’s compatible with a few good car seats – MaxiCosi, Cybex and Recaro (with adaptors) but the best fit is with the specially commissioned Kiddy egg-Evo-lunafix, which comes with a nicely matching egg-shaped body (and can be used with an Isofix base).
- Most exciting of all, you can turn it into a tandem with an adaptor kit so your second child gets a slice of the luxury, too!
Joie Chrome Plus Pushchair
RRP: £270 - Buy now
Suitable from birth with a rearward and forward facing seat, it is compatible with the Chrome Plus Carrycot and i-Gemm and Gemm car seats to create a handy travel system.
- Rearward and forward facing seat.
- Folds with pushchair seat attached rearward and forward facing.
- Chrome colour packs provide loads of style options.
- Fully flat recline with 2-position leg rest cradles little ones.
- When folded, can be transported in trolley mode.
- Ultra-compact fold with automatic fold lock.
Age: Suitable from birth (0+months) up to 15kg
L86 x W59.8 x H113.2cm
Why we love the Chrome Plus....
- This pushchair simply oozes style and is a high end pushchair on the market today.
- We adore the great design of this pushchair.
- Everything about this buggy feels carefully engineered (as you would expect for the price) and its chrome colour packs provide loads of style choices to suit you.
- The fact that it’s ultra-compact is probably our favourite bit with automatic fold lock.
- Loving the fully flat recline with 2-position leg rest that cradles for added comfort.
- Love that you can transport it in trolley mode when it’s folded.
Quinny Buzz Xtra
RRP: £450 - Buy now
The Quinny Buzz Xtra travel system is a nifty pushchair with a robust chassis and all terrain wheels, allowing you and your little one to happily roam across town and countryside.
- Travel system option with Quinny Foldable Carrycot and compatible with Maxi-Cosi baby car seat
- Multiple recline positions - 3 forward and 2 rearward-facing
- Front and rear wheel suspension and lockable front swivel wheel
- Adjustable footrest and height adjustable handlebar
Age: Birth to 3 years/15kg
Folded: L85cm x W64cm x H31cm
Why we love the Quinny Buzz Xtra ....
- Nicknamed the ‘bold explorer’, this buggy is great for venturing across all terrains
- Birth inlay provides a super cosy, lie-flat environment.
- Great suspension means a smooth ride for your tot
- We’re loving the adjustable handlebar – ideal for tall and short!
- The extra large sun canopy is a must
- The large shopping basket is perfect for that hefty changing bag and shopping too!
Silver Cross Wayfarer
RRP: £645 - Buy now
Ideal for zipping around city streets, this lightweight pram and pushchair combo is super light and manoeuvrable. Available in a range of fab colours, it comes with a decent-sized shopping basket too
- Three-in-one combo with separate carrycot, seat unit and additional car seat (buy separately)
- The seat reclines into three positions - forward or facing you!
- Height adjustable handle
- Folds down as one compact unit with the seat unit attached
Age: Birth to toddler
Weight - chassis: 6.5kg / body: 3.5kg / carrycot: 4.5kg
L94cm x W53.5cm x H100-107cm
Folded: L84cm x W53.5cm x H33.5cm
Why we love the Silver Cross Wayfarer ....
- We love the cosy lie-flat carrycot – your little one can sleep on the move and at home for naps and occasional overnight sleeps too
- It folds up fast for easy carrying and compact storage
- It’s easy to convert into a travel system - just buy the group 0+ Simplicity car seat
- Four-way suspension for a beautifully smooth ride – nice!
Bugaboo Cameleon 3
RRP: £890 - Buy now
The Cameleon 3 is the next generation of the legendary Bugaboo Cameleon – not just highly stylish, but faster and more user-friendly too.
- Reversible, 3-position tilting seat
- Easy, unfold mechanism
- Padded adjustable harness
- Height adjustable handlebar
- 2-wheel position for sand and snow
- Adaptable for various car seats
- Easy-release carrycot
- Big sun canopy and sizeable under-seat bag
- 5-point harness with adjustable shoulder straps
Age: Suitable from birth - 17kg
L90cm x W60cm x H31cm
Folded: L90cm x W50cm x H31cm
Why we love the Bugaboo Cameleon 3...
- We love this rather elegant new look
- That super quick unfold mechanism will come in handy when your wriggly baby’s raring to go!
- Built almost entirely with newly designed parts this multi-terrain Cameleon3 is sturdier than previous models
- It folds up small – luxury!
Hauck Shopper Shop ‘n Drive
RRP: £199.95 - Buy now
This great buggy can transform from buggy to car seat in a second – without waking your baby up. Just lift the car seat out of the stroller and you’re ready to roll.
- Lockable, swivel front wheels
- Fully adjustable back rest
- Adjustable foot rest
- Strong steel tube frame
- Removable, washable canopy hoods
Age: Suitable from birth to toddler
L82cm x W52cm x H105cm
Folded: 95cm x 52cm x 33cm
Why we love the Hauck Shopper Shop ‘n Drive ....
- This is fast and practical – you can switch from driving to walking, all with a sleeping baby . What a dream!
- With a large shopping basket and cup and bottle holders, shopping just got easier!
- Includes stroller, car seat and rain cover – great value
Mamas and Papas Armadillo
RRP: £249 - Buy now
A lightweight pushchair that folds up fast and converts into a travel system too.
- Suitable from birth – just click a compatible car seat into place (buy separately)
- Comfy, roomy seat
- Nice big hood (UPF 50+) offers great sun protection
- Big shopping basket – perfect for all that baby stuff
- Peek-a-boo window in hood
Age: Birth to 15kg
L92cm x W55cm x H100cm
12cm x 22cm x 28cm
Why we love the Mamas and Papas Armadillo ....
- this is easy to use – you can convert your pushchair into a nice, neat structure faster than you can say ‘stop wriggling!’
- the lovely big seat give your little adventurer lots of wiggle room
- we love the peek-a-boo window for quick checks and silly games too!
Graco Quattro Tour Deluxe - Oxford
RRP: £322.99- Buy now
The Graco Quattro Tour Deluxe is a robust multi-terrain, highly adaptable buggy offering a smooth, comfy ride.
- Quality, sturdy full-size frame – a safe, comfy ride
- 5-point harness
- Fully padded seat and toddler head support
- Multi-position seat recline, and adjustable calf support
- Spring suspension and rubber wheels for a smooth ride
- Extendable UV-protective canopy
- Linked handle for steering with just one hand
- Compact fold for easy storage
- Height adjustable handle – ideal for tall and short!
- Front-lockable swivel wheels
- Nice big drop down storage basket.
- Click in the Junior Baby 0+ car seat and you’ve got a travel system
Age: Birth to 15
L98cm x W59cm x H109cm
Why we love the Graco Quattro Tour Deluxe - Oxford ....
- The price includes the stroller, car seat and ‘Kosycot’ – what a bargain!
- You can fold it up with one hand, in one second flat – joy!
- Insert the car seat with just one click
- A nifty tray for parents, complete with sunglasses case, clock and even a temperature gauge!