What is a room thermometer?
Having a thermometer in your baby’s nursery means you can see at a glance if the room’s warm or cool enough for your little one. Keeping the room at the right temperature helps make it a safe sleeping environment, reducing the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.
Which room thermometer is right for you?
There are plenty of great room thermometers to choose from, including ones that perch neatly on the side and others that fix to the wall - where your little explorer can’t reach it!
If you want to save some cash, some baby monitors double up as thermometers displaying the temperature of the room too, so no need to buy two products.
A really helpful feature is a screen that glows-in-the-dark or lights up at night, so you can tiptoe in and check the temperature without waking them up.
How much will a room thermometer cost?
Prices start around £15.
Top tips for choosing a room thermometer
The Lullaby Trust suggests that a safe room temperature is between 16-20°C, with light bedding or a lightweight, well-fitting baby sleep bag.
Ready to buy?
Take a look at some of the popular room thermometers below.
Bounty Boutique – Babymoov Humidifier Hygro+
RRP £77.00 - Buy now
View our paediatrician recommended products such as this Humidifier Hygro+. It provides clean air for your baby, as well as reducing your own cold symptoms.
- Essential oils can also be added to this expert designed humidifier
- Display of humidity rate, temperature and time
- Continuous 22hrs running time
- Silent 360° mist & steam outlet
Why we love the Babymoov Humidifier Hygro+....
- Desired Time Silent (25 dB)
- Essential oil diffuser
- Automatic switch off
- Touch screen on LED display
- Night light function (7 colours)
Gro Egg Room Thermometer
RRP: £21.99 - Buy now
Stylish egg-shaped digital room thermometer that turns orange then red when room is too hot, blue when it’s too cold and yellow for just right.
Works as gentle night light
- Digital thermometer with back-lit LCD read-out
- UK mains power adaptor included
Why we love the Gro Egg Room Thermometer....
Such a stylish, funky product: why should nursery equipment look boring?
- Mums love the way you can see in an instant just by opening the door if the baby’s room is too cold or hot so you know whether to take action. Some have commented it runs a degree or two hotter than other thermometers, so it’s a useful gauge of the maximum heat of the room.
- It makes a useful, reassuring night light that isn’t too bright – if you wanted a light to do night feeds or nappy changes by you’d probably need to use a brighter one.
Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Bath and Room Thermometer
RRP: £17.99 - Buy now
Star-shaped thermometer that can be used in the baby’s bedroom or in the bath to check if the water is too hot
Easy-to-read LCD screen
- LED warning light when bath water is too hot (over 39C)
- Floats in the water and is certified as a bath toy
- Temperature given in Fahrenheit or Celsius
Why we love the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Bath and Room Thermometer ....
We’re loving its dual purpose qualities – just whip it out of the bath, dry it off and you’ve got your room thermometer back.
- A surprising hit as a bath toy for older babies as it’s star-shaped and floats. The red warning light that activates if the bath is too hot is very bright – you can’t miss it, even through bubbles.
- The screen turns itself off after a while to save the batteries, but you can activate it again with a simple tap.
- It’s sweet-looking and unobtrusive and doesn’t glow, so isn’t a distraction for your (hopefully) sleepy baby.
Philips Avent SCH550/20 Bath and Room Thermometer
RRP: £16.95 - Buy now
Battery-operated room thermometer that doubles up as a bath thermometer and bathtime toy.
Accurate digital thermometer that refreshes quickly
- Operates from 10C to 45C
- Easy-to-read screen
- Floats in the bath and designed to be used as a bath toy
Why we love the Philips Avent SCH550/20 Bath and Room Thermometer ....
Loving the cute flower-shaped design, although because of the shape it does sometimes want to float upside down in the bath!
- Babies are really attracted to the soft blue flower shape.
- Because of the design you don’t need a stand – just plonk it on a shelf in the baby’s room and it stands up perfectly, ready to be used as a room thermometer.
- Nice and simple – it doesn’t beep or flash, but you can see the display clearly so you know when the room or bath is too hot or cold.
RRP: £16.99 - Buy now
Well-designed battery-operated room thermometer that also displays humidity levels and records temperatures.
- Displays room temperature and percentage humidity
- Records maximum and minimum temperatures since last reset
- Shows temperature in Fahrenheit or Celsius
- Blue back-lit screen
- Works from -10C to 50C
Dimensions: 9cms x 14.5cm x7.5cm
Why we love the Babymoov Thermo-hygrometer....
- Mums with babies prone to allergies swear by this product as it tells them if the nursery is getting too humid. Most British homes have around 50% humidity but readings of 70-80% or higher create the perfect conditions for bugs and allergens such as dustmites to breed.
- We love the sleek, rain-drop shaped design, and it has three feet so it doesn’t topple off the shelf.
- The blue back-lit screen turns off after 5 seconds, so it doesn’t stop your baby going to sleep.
- If you need to monitor and record the room temperature – perhaps for medical reasons – this might be the product for you.