What are baby sleeping bags?
These cosy sleeping bags are fantastic for babies. With sheets and blankets, they can kick the covers off, get cold and wake up crying. They can also wriggle underneath, which can be dangerous if their head gets covered. Basically, most babies seem to really like sleeping bags and sleep better as a result – what’s not to like!
Which baby sleeping bag is right for you?
Look for bags that offer these great features:
- poppers on the shoulders – makes it easier get them on a wriggly baby
- a zip down the side or around the bottom – essential for changing nappies quietly during the night
- poppers under the arms – to adjust the size as your baby grows
- soft, natural fabrics - like cotton
- soft neck and sleeve edgings – for ultimate comfort
- covered zips – to protect your baby’s delicate skin
What’s the tog rating?
Sleeping bags are tog rated, just like the duvet on your bed. The temperature of the room is most important, so choose your tog accordingly.
When your baby’s room is at the ideal temperature - around 18°C - you can be confident a 2.5tog sleeping bag, together with a long-sleeved vest or top underneath, is perfect.
During the warm summer months, a 1.0 tog is ideal. You can also buy a 0.5 tog for very hot days or hot holiday destinations.
What sizes do baby sleeping bags come in?
These fab little bags come in several sizes – typically newborn to 6 months, 6-18 months and 18-36 months. Many parents stop using them when their toddler moves to a bed, but you can get a 3-6 years size for kids who really love them!
When choosing the size, just make sure your baby’s head can’t slip inside the neck hole.
How much will baby sleeping bags cost?
Prices range from around £15 - £50.
Top tips for buying a baby sleeping bag
You may want to buy more than one so you’ve always got one clean – that said most are machine washable and can be popped in the tumble drier so they’re clean and dry at short notice!
Ready to buy?
Take a look at some of the popular sleeping bags below.
RRP: From £33.00 - Buy now
The original baby sleeping bag that now comes in a fantastic array of sizes and designs.
- Winner of 6 gold awards
- Comes in 2.5 tog (spring, summer & autumn), 1.0 tog (summer) and the new 3.5 tog for colder winter nights
- Uses high quality fabrics: the official British Standard is actually based on Grobags’ specifications
- Travel version has holes to fit buggy or car seat harness plus two-way zip
- Comes with a free nursery thermometer
Sizes: 0-6 months, 6-12 months, 12-18 months, 18-36 months, 3-6 years, 6-10 years
Why we love the Grobag....
- With over three million Grobags sold since the company started the trend for baby sleep bags back in 2000, who can argue with this trusted and well-loved brand? Mums say they’re the secret to a good night’s sleep - for all.
- Loving the ever-changing designs so you can stick with plain and classic or opt for something funkier. Kissing rabbits, anyone?
- You can wash and wash these bags, and the zips/poppers still work perfectly.
- The extra underarm poppers help young and small babies feel snug and secure.
- Some kids get so addicted to their sleep bags that the Gro Company now makes them for 3-6-year-olds and 6-10 year-olds!
Bambino Merino Sleeping Bag
RRP: £59.99 - Buy now
Innovative sleep bag lined with merino wool which naturally regulates baby’s temperature so you only need to buy one bag for all seasons.
- Cotton outer and soft merino wool lining
- No need to buy different tog bags for each season as the wool regulates baby’s temperature year-round
- One size fits from 2 months to 2 years
- New travel version (£64.95) has holes for car seat or buggy harness
Why we love the Bambino Merino Sleeping Bag ....
- It sounds mad that you can use the same bag in summer or winter, but mums report it’s really true: your baby remains the perfect temperature.
- The fact that it fits until they’re 2 years old cuts down on multiple size/tog purchases, and although the price is fairly high it can save you money in the long term.
- It washes well (wool detergent recommended) and can even be tumble-dried on low heat.
- There’s a toddler version (£69.95) for 2-4 year-olds who have outgrown their original sleeping bag.
RRP: From £37.99 - Buy now
Novel new cotton sleep bags with removable lining so you don’t have to buy summer and winter bags.
- Lining easily zips out to change bag from 2.5 tog to 1.0 tog
- Zip finishes at bottom for easier night-time changes
- 3 sizes
- Extra underarm poppers for smaller babies
Sizes: 0-6 months, 6-18 months, 18-36 months
Why we love the Babasac ....
- The zip-out lining panels are genius and mean you don’t need to buy different bags for different seasons, so although the price is higher than some bags, you could save money overall.
- Simply the coolest and most distinctive fabrics of any sleep bag we’ve seen – we’re in love with the grey cloud design.
- Great for holidays as you can just take one sleeping bag, which saves on luggage space.
- Mums comment that it washes well and the sizes are on the generous side.
RRP: From £24.95 - Buy now
Soft sleeping bag with bamboo lining which also has the option of zip-on arms for colder nights.
- Soft bamboo lining – more absorbent than cotton and has anti-bacterial properties
- Includes zip-on sleeves for colder nights
- Integrated scratch mitts on 0-3month and 3-9month sizes
- Zip guard protects baby’s skin
- Comes in 4 sizes and 2 tog/weights
Sizes: 0-3 months, 3-9 months, 9-18 months and 18 months+
Why we love the PurFlo SleepSac ....
- Mums living in older or very cold houses often choose this sleep bag because of the zip-on sleeves option – so you’re sure your baby is warm even on freezing winter nights (although the new British Standard recommends sleep bags should be sleeveless).
- We love the clever zip design which sweeps across the bottom then diagonally up the bag so you can open it very wide – great for night-time nappy changing.
- Some mums comment that getting young babies’ arms into the sleeves can be tricky, but you soon work out the way that works best for you!