The expert guide to buying changing and bathing items
New babies need changing frequently, so make sure you know exactly where you’ll set up all your gear. If you have everything in one place, it will make changing a tiny, wriggly baby much easier. At the end of a busy day, bath time is such fun for you and for baby as well as a great time for bonding and playing – not to mention getting your baby clean! Here are some great ideas for product to make your life a bit easier.
What kind of mum are you?
You’ll have a changing unit, maybe with bath, plus a baby bath and a changing bag with all the accessories.
A dedicated changing unit is good if:
- You have plenty of space in your room or the nursery.
- You like to keep everything stored in one place.
- You have back problems and want baby up higher for changes.
- You want to be able to bath baby in the same unit.
You’ll have a simple changing mat, will bath baby in the family’s main bath (perhaps with a support) and will use a favourite bag or rucksack for changes.
Being low-tech is good if you:
- Have little space at home.
- Don’t want to spend money on items you may only use for a few months.
- Want the freedom to change and bathe baby where you want to.
Change and bathe safety
Remember NEVER to leave a baby alone, even for a second, on a changing mat or unit or in the bath.
Make sure you have everything you need before you begin and don’t get baby undressed before you’re ready, even if it means making him wait a bit – better to be completely safe!
Always check the temperature of the bath before putting baby in – with your elbow or a bath thermometer – and always run the cold first, then add the hot water.
You can buy lots of things to help you or very little – see what’s best for you. What you need:
- Changing unit (some have a bath too) or changing mat.
- Cotton wool and water, or wipes.
- Top & tail bowl for quick washes between baths.
- Nappy disposal unit or nappy sacks.
- Bucket for washable nappies.
- A toy or mobile to keep baby amused.
Out and about with baby
- Changing bag, or your own bag containing:
- Spare clothes.
- Wet bag.
- A favourite toy.
- Baby Bath, bath aid or support.
- For babies able to sit – swivel bath seat or support.
- Towel or cuddle robe.
- Sponge or flannel.
- Baby toiletries.
- Bath toys.