What are pregnancy pillows?
Also known as maternity support pillows, these are – at first glance – strangely shaped pillows that may help you get a decent sleep at long last.
Eight in every 10 mums-to-be find it difficult to sleep, especially in the last trimester – and will try anything to get a bit of peaceful shut-eye.
Some find that putting an ordinary pillow between your knees and another one supporting your bump while you lie on your side will do the trick.
But others still can’t get comfortable – so if this is you, a maternity pillow might be worth a try.
Which pillow is right for you?
Pregnancy pillows come in all sorts of weird and wonderful shapes, and the good news is that many double up as pillows to support your baby when breastfeeding later on. In fact some mums who just can’t get on with their pillow in pregnancy find it invaluable once the baby is born.
Most are body-length and gently curved so you can put one end between your knees, have it supporting your bump and even put your head on the other end!
Some have a quilted base to go under your body to stop you rolling on to your back during the night – something that isn’t good for your baby.
Others are more like a ‘6’ shape and are designed to contour to your body to support your bump, hips and back. Later on, you can use these as a feeding pillow or even as a toddler’s chair!
Then there are U-shaped ones which make brilliant feeding supports. They can also be used as a prop when your baby is learning to sit up, a few months down the line.
When choosing which product suits you best, it really is down to personal taste – what suits one person might not suit another.
How much will a pregnancy pillow cost?
It’s not a cheap option: most good quality pregnancy pillows will cost £40 to £50.
- If you’re not sure which one to go for, why not see if you can try out your friends’ ones before buying to make sure you find it comfortable. There’s so much choice out there, you’re sure to find one for you in the end!
- As it’s quite an expensive purchase, it’s a great idea for your baby shower present list, if you’re having one.
- If you’re tall, check how long the pillow is before buying – not all of them work for those of us over 5ft 9!
Ready to buy?
Take a look at some of the popular pregnancy pillows and maternity pillows below.
Summer Infant Support Body Pillow
RRP: £35.95 - Buy now
A full-length supportive pillow which can be used during your pregnancy and after your baby is born
- Patented shape moulds to mum's body providing good support in bed for bump, hips and legs during pregnancy
- Can be used post-birth as a breastfeeding pillow, baby's tummy time support, or as a toddler cushion
- Has a removable and washable soft cover so can be popped in the machine with the rest of your bed linen
- It's extra large size means your entire body is supported, including your head and neck
Dimensions: 38cm x 17cm x 55cm
Why we love the Summer Infant Support Body Pillow ....
- It is mega versatile and not just as a one off pregnancy product – the fact it can be shaped into a toddler-sized 'chair' or baby support is brill!
- It is really comfy and offers full-length body support for every little ache and niggle during pregnancy
- It is so pliable you can completely adapt it to your shape, so if you want to fold it behind you for sitting up in bed, or just roll it up as a leg prop, you can
- You can wash the cover – essential once baby arrives!
- It stops you from rolling on to your bump in the night by helping you stay in one position