What’s the issue here?
It’s no wonder pregnancy can be a bit hard on our skin – with all those swirling hormones and uncomfortable nights, not every pregnant woman finds her skin glows!
And when the baby finally arrives, your skin has to cope with yet more sleepless nights and hormones plus the effects of the stress hormone cortisol from dealing with a demanding new addition to the family.
It can also be a time we reach for props like caffeine and sugary, high-carb snacks to see us through – which might make us feel a bit better, but aren’t great for skin radiance!
Lots of new mums find they have much drier skin than normal, and some also suffer with red and flaky patches, flare-ups and just general dull and lacklustre skin.
Which product is right for you?
Skincare products both for you and for baby are big business now and there are some truly lovely, natural ranges out there.
The emphasis is on natural oils when it comes to baby’s delicate skin. Favourite ingredients include wheatgerm, almond, sunflower oils plus gentle fragrances like apricot and lavender.
Some baby oils are designed so you can also use them on your own skin – they’re guaranteed to be gentle, and can help treat the dry skin that affects many mums. Plus, you’ll both smell the same!
Relaxing body/massage oils are a good choice if you’re feeling a bit frazzled and stressed. Ingredients to look out for include geranium, camomile, jojoba, almond, basil and lavender.
How much do they cost?
You can pay anything from £5 to £100 for skincare, but expensive doesn’t always mean better. It’s about finding the right product to suit your skin. Some hero products new mums swear by cost around £10.
- Don’t rule out body oils because you have oily skin. Many newer products are non-greasy and, anyway,you’ll probably find your post-pregnancy skin is a lot drier than it used to be.
- Drinking loads of water is really important to bring back that radiance – and essential for breastfeeding mums.
- Gently exfoliating your skin with a special brush or exfoliator will remove dead cells and help bring back the glow.
Ready to buy?
Take a look at some of the popular skincare products below.
Mama Mio Megamama Super-Rich Omega Body Lotion
RRP: £24.50 - Buy now
A specially formulated rich body lotion for mums-to-be and new mums which will nourish and pamper dry skin without harsh chemicals.
- Safe for use in pregnancy and while breastfeeding
- A blend of organic omega oils and antioxidants, including shea butter, coconut oil, sweet almond oil and vitamins C and E
- Contains chia and pumpkin seed oils
- Hydrates tired skin and promotes skin elasticity
- Use on shower-damp or dry skin
Size: 150ml bottle
Why we love the Mama Mio Megamama Super-Rich Omega Body Lotion ....
- When the label says ‘Super-rich’ it’s not kidding. Your dry skin drinks this lotion in like a hungry baby gulping down milk! If you start at your toes and massage the lotion upwards, on legs, tummy, chest and arms you feel like your skin has had a work-out.
- We’re loving all those organic and natural ingredients and the fact that it’s specially formulated for the problems that skin faces in pregnancy and after the birth, when the ‘glow’ disappears (if it was ever there!) and sleepless nights take their toll.
- Who knew that pumpkin seed oil helps relieve tense muscles or that chia seed boosts radiance and helps with skin sensitivity? Some mums have commented that this lotion really helped with their itchy pregnancy skin, which was driving them mad - especially at night. It’s also not so greasy that it causes unwanted break-outs.
- It’s got a lovely scent – fresh but not too strong or over-powering, and – while certainly not cheap – it’s not as pricy as some pregnancy and new mum skincare ranges.
- Dads have been known to steal some to soothe their own dry skin – but their secret’s safe with us!
Clarins Body Treatment Oil Contouring/Strengthening - 1 x 100ml
RRP: £40 - Buy now
A luxurious blend of broom, geranium, marjoram, lemon, orange and hazelnut oils to firm and hydrate the skin
- Can help to stimulate and firm the skin
- Leaves skin soft and supple with a satin-feel
- Can help to eliminate toxins in the skin
- Designed to prevent a spongy texture appearing on dehydrated and tired skin
- Can be used as a massage product
- Contains hazelnut oil to help maintain moisture levels in the skin
- A luxurious treat for tired legs and feet in pregnancy and beyond
Why we love the Clarins Body Treatment Oil Contouring/Strengthening ....
- It is brill when massaged into puffy, swollen and tired legs – particularly if you get someone else to rub it in!
- It's a real treat for heavily pregnant bodies – it doesn't drag or irritate the skin and is pretty much the perfect massage oil
- It has an amazing smell thanks to the luxe blend of essential oils but it's not overpowering or competing with your other products
- It leaves skin feeling silky smooth and looking healthy and hydrated
- It comes in a generously sized bottle and a little goes a long way
Holland & Barratt – Miaflora Argan Oil
RRP: £14.99 - Buy now
- The argan oil is a natural oil formulated for your skin and hair.
- The oil is produced directly from the kernels of the Moroccan Argan tree.
- It can be used for your face, body, and dry areas of skin such as elbows and knees.
- It is a source of Vitamin E and essential fatty acids.
Why we love Miaflora Argan Oil ....
- We love that this oil is even suitable for sensitive skin and is nourishing for your skin and hair.
- We adore the fresh smell and easy application of this oil.
- An excellent option for a moisturiser for all skin types.
- You can even add a couple of drops to your bath water to bathe your skin in an extra touch of moisture.
- Your hair can suffer during pregnancy, but a couple of drops direct on the ends of your hair can help regain its natural shine.