What are cots and cot beds?
We all know and love a traditional cot, and fast growing in popularity is a new nursery rival - the cot bed!
Cotbeds are big cots that turn into toddler beds. You just whip off the removable sides and end panel, and you’ve got a cosy, little bed for a toddler that’s low to the ground.
Which one is right for you?
Loving the cot bed:
Cot beds cost more, but they last longer. Most are plenty big enough until your toddler is around five, and can then be used as a cute little sofa that lasts their entire childhood.
Loving the cot:
Cots are smaller than cot beds, so they fit more easily into your bedroom or a small nursery. Also remember, you’ll have to buy a single bed for your fast-growing toddler at some point, so you could move your baby straight from a cot to a single.
Some parents feel a big cot bed leaves their newborn looking a bit lost!
You’ll need to invest in a special mattress and bedding because they’re bigger than a cot, but smaller than a single bed.
But at the end of the day, they’re both great products, so whichever you go for, think about these features:
- range of heights for mattress – two or three levels is ideal
- protective teething rails – for babies who love to chew!
- drop rails – to ease the strain on your back
- storage – every little bit helps!
- lockable wheels – can come in handy!
How much do cots and cot beds cost?
Cots start at around £50, and cot beds start around £70.
Top tips for buying cots and cot beds
When you’ve chosen a cot or cot bed, you also need to buy a mattress. Ideally, you should buy a new mattress for each new baby, but whether it’s second hand or new, make sure the mattress you choose is clean, dry, ﬂat, ﬁrm and well-ﬁtting.
Avoid duvets, quilts, pillows, electric blankets or hot water bottles with tiny babies. And never put your baby to sleep on a cushion, bean bag, pillow or waterbed.
Ready to buy?
Take a look at some of the popular cots and cot beds below.
Boori Sleigh Cotbed
RRP: £599 - Buy now
Beautifully designed sleigh-style cot bed in solid wood
- Converts to a toddler bed and then a sofa for older children
- Two base heights for easy parental access to baby
- Wipe clean solid wood finish
- Includes a toddler guard panel to use with toddler bed
- Tested to meet Greenguard Gold accreditation for optimum indoor air quality
Age: from birth to around 5 years
Dimensions: H98cm x W80cm x L157cm
Why we love the Boori Sleigh Cotbed ....
- A cot that truly grows with baby to become a toddler bed and then a sofa
- Contemporary design with solid construction
- Straight-froward flat pack home assembly
- Available in white and dark wood finish to complement any style of nursery
Silver Cross Nostalgia cot bed
RRP: £400 - Buy now
A traditionally styled wooden cot bed from a heritage brand
- Easily converts from cot to toddler bed for older children
- Three base positions allow the cot to grow with baby
- The base has a useful full-length pull out drawer with pewter-effect handles
- Baby-safe teething rails
- Takes a 1400x700 mattress
Age: from birth to around 4 years
Dimensions: H95cm x W78cm x L148cm
Why our mums love the Silver Cross Nostalgia cot bed ....
- It's has traditional styling and is a very generous size
- The under-cot drawer is fab for spare linen for middle-of-night bed changes
- It's sturdy and strong and exudes quality
- Comes from a tried-and-trusted British brand
- There are other matching pieces of nursery furniture in the Nostalgia range