What are single to double pushchairs?
These pushchairs start off as a single, but convert to a double with the addition of another baby seat or carry cot suitable for a newborn. The older child usually sits in the front, while the newborn travels safely underneath or behind the main seat.
Bugaboo makes a single-to-double which is a side-by-side conversion.
These pushchairs are worth considering if you’re just starting out as parents and plan on having a second child within a couple of years.
You can buy the extra seat, or carrycot separately, or as part of a full package.
Are these the same as twin buggies?
Some twin pushchairs have interchangeable carrycot and seats, but they tend to be the same size. Single to double pushchairs differ by having a larger seat for the growing baby or child, rather than two of the same size.
How much do single-to-double pushchairs cost?
There are no cheap models in this product range. A great value brand is Graco, whose single-to-double costs around £170. Another popular brand is Phil and Teds, which retails at around £400. Expect to pay between £50-£100 for the additional carrycot/seat for your second baby. Bugaboo’s top-end version is the Donkey, which costs nearer £1,000, plus conversion kit as extra.
Top tips for buying single-to-double pushchairs
Some manufactures refer to this type of buggy combination as a ‘duo’.
The second seat usually replaces the storage areas on these models. The maximum age range for the second child varies between brands, from 2 years to 5 years (approx.).
Some brands sell additional storage options that clip to the sides of the converted pushchair.
Accessories: you might find you need the brands’ own rain covers, or sunshades once you’ve upgraded to double size.
Ready to buy?
Take a look at some of the popular single-to-double pushchairs below.
BabyStyle Oyster Max Pushchair
RRP: £359 - Buy now
A super stylish, highly versatile pushchair that grows with your family. Perfect from birth, it also converts into a tandem. In fact, it’s so versatile, there are 25 different combinations!
- reversible, multi-position seats
- travel system-tastic, it’s compatible with Britax, Maxi-Cosi & Oyster car seats (sold separately)
- converts into a tandem – just buy another seat and/or carrycot
- compact folding with quick release wheels
- lockable front swivel wheels
- cantilever independent 4-wheel suspension system – smooth ride!
- hinged handlebar for the perfect height
- roomy mesh shopping basket
- flexible leg rest and removable bumper bar
Folded: 115cm x 90cm x 59cm
Why we love the BabyStyle Oyster Max Pushchair....
- We love, love, love the versatility! It happily accommodates two seat units, two carrycots, two car seats or any combination of the above!
- Its slimline design means it's a dream to manoeuvre
- We love the hidden features, like the nifty insect net
- It folds up small!
- Buy the ‘Colour Pack’ and enjoy a colour co-ordinated seat liner, hood and car seat head hugger – rock that style!
Hauck Freerider Tandem Stroller
RRP: £249.95 - Buy now
A sporty 3-wheel jogger that’s great for two little ones.
- black steel frame
- height adjustable handle
- detachable fabric
- good suspension for a smooth ride
- detachable front bar
- adjustable foot rest
- detachable canopy
- large shopping basket
- comes complete with second seat unit
- compatible with Hauck Zero Plus Car Seat (buy separately)
Age: Birth to 12kg
Open: L92cm x W54cm x H106cm
Folded: 97cm x 29cm x 53cm
Why we love the Hauck Freerider Tandem Stroller ....
- It’s light and easy to manoeuvre so you can zip about with your two little ones
- Nice roomy seats that both recline
Obaby Zezu multi pramette with tandem
RRP: £238.95 - Buy now
The OBaby ZeZu Multi is a multifunctional, all-in-one pushchair and pramette that adapts into a great tandem as your family grows.
- all-in-one pram and seat unit - changes easily from pram to buggy
- multi-position front and rear facing seat unit
- lightweight aluminium chassis
- sporty lockable front swivel wheels
- quick release puncture resistant rear wheels
- height adjustable ergonomic foam handle
- folds up easily
- good suspension for a smooth ride
- adjustable 5-point harness
- decent-sized coordinating shopping basket
- pram liner for extra comfort – cosy!
- easy click Obaby ZeZu Car Seat (available separately)
Age: Ideal from birth
Dimensions: (as tandem)
Open: 105cm x 104cm x 60cm
Folded: 84cm x 46cm x 45cm
Why we love the Obaby Zezu multi pramette with tandem...
- This is a fab buggy that transforms from a pram to a multi-position forward or rear facing buggy - without the need for an extra carrycot
- Just click in car seats and you’ve got a travel system too!
- When your family grows, the ‘multi tandem kit’ lets you add a seat or ride-on-board for your toddler. What’s not to like!