What are double electric pumps?
Electric pumps are the masters of breast pumps. Although they can look a bit, uhm, mechanical, once in full flow (excuse the pun) they pump milk very fast and easily for your baby.
While single electric breast pumps are fast and effective, the electric double pump allows you to express milk from both boobs at the same time. So, a double pump speeds up your expressing – perfect for busy mums and those with more than one baby at home.
Electric double pumps are winners for several reasons:
- you can express twice as much milk as you can with a single
- they’re not tiring to use and you can use them in different positions
- some have a ‘memory’ function that stores your perfect rhythm
- they’re easy and efficient
Which electric pump is right for you?
Deciding whether to go for a single or a double electric pump depends on your milk requirements. Look out for pumps that are:
- easy to use, with clear instructions
- able to fully disassemble for easy cleaning
- suitable for a dishwasher or steriliser (or both)
- tailored suction to mimic your baby's sucking patterns
- adjustable suction levels
Top tips when buying an electric pump
- if it’s mains-powered, you’ll near to be near a power point
- you can sometimes rent them from hospitals – ask your midwife or health visitor
- be aware they aren’t the quietest of machines, but they are very effective at what they do
- for mums of twins these are probably the best option
How much will an electric double pump cost?
Prices start around £100.
Ready to buy?
Take a look at some of the popular electric double breast pumps below.
Ameda Purely Yours Lactaline Double Electric Breastpump
RRP: £149.99 - Buy now
Pump more milk in less time and effort with the Ameda Lactaline
Double Electric Breast Pump. This personal pump provides hospital-grade technology and a Piston Pump, which effectively mimics baby’s sucking to optimise milk flow.
- Hospital-approved technology
- Two separate CustomControl™ dials to personalise ‘Speed’ and ‘Suction’ settings to meet your needs
- Seven CustomFit™ funnel sizes
- Airlock Protection™ anti-viral barrier
- Piston technology mimics baby’s sucking
Why our mums love the Ameda Purely Yours Lactaline Double Electric Breastpump ....
- There are 32 options for suction and speed, which means you’re guaranteed to find the one that most closely matched your baby’s sucking style.
- Ameda offer a whopping 7 funnel sizes, so as your boobs change, you can adjust the pump to fit perfectly.
- You can operate the pump as a double, or a single, depending on your mood, or situation at any time.
- It cleverly covers all the bases for power sources – for mains electric, batteries and there’s even a car adapter available (as an optional, but brilliant, extra).
- It’s easier to clean that you’d expect, as it uses special diaphragm called ‘airlock protection’ to keep it’s tubes clean (and milk out of them).
Medela Swing Maxi Double Electric Breastpump
RRP: £239.99 - Buy now
Compact and portable, Medela's Swing Maxi Double electric breast pump features double pumping and 2-phases - a great combo that helps you express milk faster.
- the 2-phase expression function apparently helps you express up to 18% more milk. It does this by boosting your milk flow by mimicking your baby’s sucking pattern - starting with short, stimulating sucking and moving to longer, slower ones
- the Calma Solitaire teat mimics your baby’s sucking – helping create a steady flow of milk
- small and compact design
- quick to assemble and easy to clean
- batteries and mains powered
- nice comfortable design
- good range of vacuum levels and settings
- quiet operation for an extra bit of privacy
- can be used in double and single modes
What you get:
1 x swing Maxi motor unit
2 x personalfit breastshield 24 mm
2 x connector
1 x tubing
2 x breastmilk Bottle
2 x bottle stand
1 x mains adapter
1 x Calma feeding device
Why our mums love the Medela Swing Maxi Double Electric Breastpump ....
- this great product helps you express a lot of milk quickly and easily. We love the double pump/double speed combo!
- It’s super convenient too – small, quiet and transportable. What’s not to like?
Lansinoh 2-in-1 Electric Pump
RRP: £149.99 - Buy now
This lightweight, versatile 2-in-1 electric breast pump from Lansinoh can be used as a single or double pump.
- can use as a single or double pump
- super efficient – two pumps means more milk in less time
- innovative three-position pump for a snug fit
- adjustable suction levels to suit your pumping style - maximising milk flow and comfort too
- 2 separate phases to mimic the baby’s sucking motion – the faster let down phase and the slower expression phase
- bottle stands - help prevent spills
- compact and portable
- large lit LCD screen – shows which phase you’re in
- easy to clean, assemble and use
- BPA and BPS Free
- mains and battery operated
- 'closed' pump system means milk stays out of the tubing for optimum suction
- with six suction levels, you can express easily!
- wide neck bottles are compatible with different pumps, lids and teats
- nice and quiet
- comes with a stylish portable bag
Why our mums love the Lansinoh 2-in-1 Electric Pump...
- you can choose if you want to express from both breasts or just one
- two-phase expressing helps you produce more milk in less time, which sounds good to us!
Philips AVENT SCF334/02 Comfort Twin Electric Breast Pump
RRP: £265 - Buy now
This breast pump’s unique design helps you get comfortable while expressing – helping your milk flow easily.
- fast and efficient – expressing from both breasts at the same time is not only more efficient, it may even boost milk production
- comfortable - the unique design means your milk flows directly from your breast into the bottle, even when you are sitting up straight
- mimics baby’s feeding pattern - starts pumping in stimulation mode then slows as your milk flows
- 3 settings – you can also choose which pumping setting is most comfortable for you
- soft massage cushion – the warm, soft, velvety texture gently stimulates your milk flow
- easy to operate cushion - switch on and off at the touch of a button
- easy cleaning - all parts (except the electrical parts obvs) are dishwasher-safe
- Philips AVENT Natural bottle and teat – make it easier for your baby to latch on to, so you can switch effortlessly between breast and bottle feeding
- compatible – works with other items in the Philips Avent feeding range
- accessories – comes with a handy travel bag
What you get:
breast pump body x 2
base unit incl. tubing x 1
standard size cushion x 1
natural bottle 4oz x 2
extra soft Newborn Flow Nipple x 2
travel cover x 2
sealing disc for milk storage x 2
breast pad sample packs x 2 (1 Day & 1 Night pack)
spare diaphragm x 2
travel bag x 1
Why our mums love the Philips AVENT SCF334/02 Comfort Twin Electric Breast Pump ....
- the angled pumps mean no ensure leaning over - no spills or back pain and better milk flow too
- versatile – not only does it mimic baby’s feeding patterns, but you can choose which pumping setting is most comfortable for you