What are group 0 and 0+ car seats?
You need one of these tiny, comfy, rear-facing car seats for your baby’s first all-exciting journey home – in fact you’re not allowed to leave the hospital without one.
Small, portable and cosy, they offer good protection for a tiny baby and must be used every time you go out in the car.
They’re designed for a newborn and will still fit your baby until they’re 11 months or so and in the case of 0+ car seats until they're around 12-15 months.
There are two ways to fit a car seat into your car – with a seatbelt, or with a separate base (ISOFIX).
Which group 0 and 0+ car seat is right for you?
Here are some of the main features to consider:
- good side impact protection
- a comfortable, easy to carry handle
- several recline positions for naps
- cosy head hugging padding
- 5-point harness holds your little one securely in place, is easily adjustable and accessible from the front
- lightweight design
- a smooth underside that sits firmly on your car seat without damaging it
- easy-to-access belt books or ISOFIX fitting with indicators to tell you’ve got it right
- a well-padded chest and crotch area for a snugly fit
How much will a group 0 or 0+ car seat cost?
Prices start around £30 and move into the high hundreds.
Top tips for buying a group 0 or 0+ car seat
Remember, you don’t have to buy all of your products from one brand. Some car seats can be clicked into various pushchair bases to form a travel system, so it’s worth thinking which pushchair you want before snapping up a car seat. Just check with manufacturers, or ask in-store.
Safety tip! It’s dangerous to place a rear-facing infant carrier on a front passenger seat fitted with an active airbag.
Ready to buy?
Take a look at some of the popular Group 0 and Group 0+ Car seats below.
Joie Gemm 0+
RRP: £80 - Buy now
Designed and engineered to keep your baby cosy and safe from birth to 13kgs with wrap-around side impact protection coverage for head and body.
- Group 0+ infant car seat, suitable rearward facing from birth to 13kg.
- 5-point harness.
- One-pull adjustable harness.
- Multi-position, ergonomic carry handle with soft grip section.
- Removable full body newborn pillow.
- Removable shoulder harness and lower buckle covers.
Age: 0-15 months/ 0-13kg
Product weight: 4kg
Dimensions: L65 x W43.5 x H57cm
Why we love the Gemm 0+ ....
- This car seat is designed for ultimate comfort and complete protection for your baby while in the car.
- We adore the great design of this car seat and its smart look.
- Everything about this car seat says safety with its 5-point harness to ensure baby is completely secure.
- The handle is probably our favourite bit: it has multiple positions for easier carrying and has a soft grip section to make it comfortable when carrying it.
- Loving the one-pull adjustable harness to make strapping baby in as easy as possible.
- The removable shoulder harness and lower buckle covers give your baby extra comfort, while always being safe, as they grow.
RRP: £99.99 - Buy now
A well-made, robust and safe seat that scores very highly in European safety tests, yet isn’t too expensive.
- 5-point height adjustable safety harness with one-pull adjustment
- Padded head support with integral cushion for baby’s comfort
- Removable, washable cover
- Compatible with Britax pushchairs with Click & Go
- Wings provide side impact protection
Age: 0-12/15 months/ 0-13kg
Product weight: 3.6kg
Dimensions: H58cm x W44cm x D69cm
Fitting: Baby-Safe Belted Base or Isofix base or seatbelt
Why we love the Britax Baby-Safe...
- There’s padding everywhere on this seat - headrest, side wings, even chest pads - which makes it supremely comfortable for your baby. It even has a cushion allowing a newborn to sleep in a more natural position.
- It’s got a great quality, solid feel yet it’s one of the lightest; you really feel you can trust this seat.
- The curved base makes a great rocker for those days when nothing seems to go right.
- Mums of small babies really love this seat because of all that padding and the cushion that raises the baby up. Watch out if your car seats have a big ‘lip’ on them: you may find this seat sits in quite an upright position when using the base.
Silver Cross Simplicity
RRP: £150 - Buy now
This innovative and stylish seat has won a clutch of awards in the past two years, and is a good-looking but practical choice.
- Optimum side impact protection
- Comes with removable foot cover and hood
- Adjustable head support and 5-point harness
- Newborn comfort wedge for optimum fit and comfort
- Combines with Silver Cross prams to create a travel system
Age: 0-15 months or 0-13kg
Product weight: 4kg
Dimensions: H40cm x W44cm x D67cm
Fitting: Simplifix Isofix base (buy separately) or seatbelt
Why we love the Silver Cross Simplicity ....
- We’re totally in love with the foot covers (Silver Cross call them aprons) that provide a little pop of colour – such funky colours to choose from, and you can match it to your pushchair.
- The colour-coded system that shows if the seat is properly fitted is a godsend – and while the blue seatbelt guides might not be very pretty, it does mean there’s no chance of mistakes when putting it into the car.
- Unlike some 0+ seats, it’s really easy to adjust the harness and head support once your baby grows – no swearing!
- This seat feels really solid (it should be as it’s quite heavy at 4kg) and safe for baby.