Weaning recipes for babies
So, your baby is happily tucking into the purées and ready to try some new flavours!
Here are some great baby weaning recipes, as well as tips for making sure your baby has a brilliantly balanced diet.
At a glance
- Ensure your baby has a balanced diet which includes the four key food groups
- Try mixing up purées to make them more interesting and nutritious
- Give your little one plenty of milk, eggs, cheese and dark leafy vegetables to ensure they are getting crucial nutrients
Giving your baby a balanced diet with a variety of weaning recipes
Babies should be eating from four key food groups. Here’s a rough guide to what you should be serving when your baby is 7-9 months old:
- Group 1: Cereals, bread, chapatti, pasta, rice and potatoes - include in all meals
- Group 2: Fruit and vegetables - include in all meals
- Group 3: Meat, fish, poultry, eggs, lentils, beans and nut butters - 1 -2 servings per day
- Group 4: Dairy foods such as yoghurt, fromage frais, milk puddings and cheese - 1-2 servings per day
If your baby doesn't eat any meat or fish, it’s a good idea to include eggs, pulses, nut butters or tofu in 2 or 3 of their meals every day to ensure they are getting plenty of iron that they need in their diet. Also include dark green vegetables, like spinach and broccoli.
Weaning recipes to introduce new flavours
When your baby is well into weaning and getting used to a few exciting tastes, you can try mixing up your mashes or purées to make them more interesting and nutritious.
Super easy purées
Why not try super easy purées, like these, which you don’t even need to cook!
- Bananas and papaya
- Cucumber and avocado
- Cantaloupe melon and apple
Just make sure you remove any seeds and mash well or purée using a food processor or hand blender.
Weaning recipes to introduce more solids
Below we’ve included some simple weaning recipes that offer a little bit more than puréed food:
Simple lentil and spinach dahl
Red lentils are ideal because they’re softer than the green ones. You can pop in a hint of spice for your baby, then crank up the temperature with your own portion! Serve this with some rice, cous cous, pasta or mashed potato.
- 2 oz red lentils
- 1 medium onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 oz spinach
- Spices to taste – try turmeric and mild chilli powder, or ground cumin and coriander
- Cover the lentils with water and cook them until they are really soft
- Steam the spinach
- Chop up the onion and fry it in sunflower oil with the garlic. Add the coriander and cumin and fry for a minute more, then add the drained lentils and spinach
- You can use a hand blender to purée the dish more, or leave it lumpy, depending on how your baby is going with more textured food
Simple pasta Bolognese
You can whizz this through a blender when it’s finished, or give it to your baby as it is, depending on their age and how they feel about lumpy food.
- 8 oz minced beef
- Half a small onion
- Half a tin of tomatoes
- Teaspoon of tomato purée
- Half a chopped red pepper
- Half a chopped carrot
- Half a clove of garlic
- Dried pasta cooked in water and drained
- Chop the onion and finely slice the garlic. Fry them in olive oil until they are soft
- Add the pepper and carrot and fry for another five minutes
- Add the tomatoes and tomato purée and mix well
- Add the beef and fry until brown
- Cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes until well cooked
- Serve with cooked pasta
Care to share? You can talk to other new mums on Bounty.com in the Bounty Community.
With this in mind, Bounty offers mums a helping hand through the weaning stage from when their baby turns four and a half months old. So don’t miss your FREE Growing Family Pack which includes our essential weaning guide, How to introduce solid Foods as well as a selection of samples from HiPP Organic Food plus much more.
Getting your pack is easy, once you’ve signed up to Bounty, your voucher will automatically be sent to you when your little one turns 4 and half months.
Life with your little one. Chat with other mums.
- Terms and conditions
Photobox ‘Win £200 worth of Photobox products’ Competition
Terms and Conditions
- Bounty Members have the opportunity to enter a free prize draw:
1st Prize – A4 Photobook and £200 Photobox Credit
2nd Prize - 25 runners up will receive an A4 Photo book
- Three simple steps to enter the competition:
Step 1 - Take a photo of your little one’s special smile
Step 2 - Upload it to Twitter, Instagram or Facebook
Step 3 - Make sure you use the hashtag #Bountysmiles
- The opening date for entry to the free prize draw is1st February 2017, 09:00and the closing date is 31 October 2017, 23:59
- The winners will be chosen at random by Photobox from all successful entrants
- The winners will be notified by Photobox within 14 days of the close of the competition. 6. Within the 14 days of notification the winner is required to confirm the registration of a Photobox account and the email address used to register the account. In the event that the winner does not provide the required confirmation within the 14 days the entry may be disqualified and an alternative winner may be chosen.
- The Prize will be credited to the winner’s Photobox account within 14 days of receipt of the confirmation of the Photobox account and the email address linked to the account.
- The Promoter will not be liable for any prize(s) that does not reach the winner for reasons beyond the Promoter’s reasonable control.
- All entrants must be aged 18 years or over and resident in the UK.
- Only one entry per person/household.
- No applications from agents, third parties, organised groups or applications automatically generated by computer will be accepted.
- The Prize cannot be transferred and no cash alternative is available.
- Prizes are as stated and subject to availability. In the event of the Prize being unavailable, the Promoter reserves the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- The winner’s details will only be used for administration of the prize.
- The Promoter reserves the right to exclude at its sole discretion any entries which are likely to offend others, break the law or are otherwise not consistent with the purpose of this initiative.
- Entries not completed in accordance with these terms and conditions will not be accepted. No responsibility is accepted for any entries that are not submitted on time or in full or not received by the Promoter for any reason, such as corrupted web pages.
- Employees of Bounty (UK) Limited and Photobox Limited or any of their associated companies and immediate family members, are not eligible to enter the prize draw.
- By entering the prize draw, entrants agree to be bound by these rules and by any other requirements set out in the promotional material.
- The decisions of the Promoter ‘Photobox’ will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By entering the prize draw, entrants agree to be bound by these terms and conditions, which are governed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales.
- In the event that any terms and condition(s) are deemed invalid, illegal or otherwise unenforceable, they shall be severed from these terms and the remaining clauses will remain in force.
Photobox Limited, Unit 7, 30 Great Guildford Street, London SE1 0HS. Company Number: 03906401