What are electric pumps?
Expressing is the best way of keeping your feeding going while giving you the ability to be away from your baby if needs be, whether that’s out for the evening or going back to work.
An electric pump is faster (and some mums think easier) than a manual breast pump. They come with suction unit, to fit over your nipple and around your boob, attached via an air hose to a base unit. This unit creates suction to mimic your baby’s feeding rhythm. The advantage is the accuracy of the rhythm versus your hands when manually pumping.
Mums of twins or special care babies find the speed of a manual pump invaluable.
Double pumps offer an even faster option.
Single electric pumps offer new mums the ability to:
- express in a fraction of the time of a manual
- use them in different positions
- express easily and without tiring from manual pumping
Which electric pump is right for you?
There are a myriad of features, but here are a few to look out for:
- easy to assemble and dismantle for cleaning
- a comfy cushioned fit around the funnel
- high number of sucks per minute
- several adjustable suction levels
Top tips on buying an electric pump
- don’t forget to check where your power points are, as you’ll need one within reach (if it’s mains powered)
- ask your midwife if you can try before you buy, by renting from a hospital
- you can get double pumps, which are even faster
- get one that is safe to use in a steriliser
How much will an electric pump cost?
Prices start around £70.
Ready to buy?
Take a look at some of the popular Electric Breast Pumps below.
Ameda Purely Yours Una Single Electric Breastpump
RRP: £119.99 - Buy now
Lightweight and portable, the Una is ideal for on-the-go breastfeeding. Get value for money by using Ameda technology
which is approved and used in hospitals to get the best
breastfeeding experience. With a combination of 32 Speed and
Suction settings, the Ameda pumps are totally customisable to
suit your needs and creates better milk flow and provides greater comfort.
- Hospital-approved technology
- Two separate CustomControl™ dials to personalise ‘Speed’ and ‘Suction’ settings to meet your needs
- Seven CustomFit™ funnel sizes
- Airlock Protection™ anti-viral barrier
- Piston technology mimics baby’s sucking
Why our mums love the Ameda Purely Yours Una Single Electric Breastpump ....
- Like the sister pump, the Lactaline Double, this single pump has an astounding 32 options for suction, meaning you’ll easily find one that matches your baby’s pattern.
- Again, another brilliant feature of Ameda pumps is the attention to boob size, recognising that no two boobs are the same. There are 7 funnel sizes to choose from (not all are included, they are extra, but it’s a fab range).
- The special diaphragm (Airlock Protection™) prevents milk from entering the air tubes, which can happen on some other brand models. A real boost.
- Although it’s not as quiet as a manual pump, it’s not as noisy as expected and the speed more than makes up for it!
Philips AVENT SCF332/01 Comfort Single Electric Breast Pump
RRP: £115 - Buy now
The Philips AVENT Comfort breast pump’s unique design helps you get comfortable while expressing – helping your milk flow more naturally and easily.
What you get:
- you can sit comfortably with no need to awkwardly lean forward
- nice comfortable pumping position
- soft massage cushion to gently stimulate your milk flow
- gentle stimulation mode and 3 pumping settings
- compact lightweight design
- easy cleaning - thanks to the small number of separate parts
- easy operation at the touch of a button
Includes a Philip AVENT Natural bottle and teat to encourage baby to latch on naturall
It’s compatible with other feeding products in the Philips AVENT range
Why our mums love the Philips AVENT SCF332/01 Comfort Single Electric Breast Pump ....
- you can get really comfortable and relax
- it’s easy to clean – makes all the difference!
Tommee Tippee Closer To Nature Electric Breast Pump Set
RRP: £99.99 - Buy now
The Tommee Tippee Closter to Natures electric breast pump is easy to use, comfortable and effective, with a good range of accessories.
- soft silicone cup is specially designed to mimic a baby's natural feeding action
- gentle and efficient expressing action, with maximum comfort for you
- easy to clean & assemble - simple and intuitive design
- one-piece valve for improved suction
- switch between low, medium and high suction levels to suit you
- mains or battery operated
What you get:
1 x electric breast pump
1 x 150ml bottle
1 x breast milk storage pot
6 x breast pads
1 x steriliser box
Why our mums love the Tommee Tippee Closer To Nature Electric Breast Pump Set....
- it closely mimic your baby's natural feeding actions helping boost your milk flow
- adjustable suction phases – so you can carefully control the whole thing
- mains or battery operated – ideal if you’re away from home
- good range of accessories – from a handy steriliser box, to milk storage pot, breast pads and a bottle
Medela Mini Electric Breast Pump
RRP: £79.99 - Buy now
The Medela Mini Electric breast pump is the smallest handheld electric breast pump on the market, so super convenient and ideal for short-term or occasional use.
- gentle and efficient expression -- single phase (‘one-speed’)
- mains and battery operated
- easy to assemble and clean
- BPA free
- portable and light-weight
- comfortable and easy to use
What you get:
1 x mini Electric Breast Pump
1 x personalfit breastshield - 24mm
1 x motor unit with battery compartment
1 x valve head and valve membrane
1 x breastmilk bottle - 150ml
1 x lid, cap and disc
1 x bottle stand
1 x mains adapter
Why our mums love the Medela Mini Electric Breast Pump ....
- this portable pump is so small, lightweight it’s perfect for travelling – chuck it in your bag and off you go!