Where can young parents go for support?

Housing, food, childcare, benefits and emotional support

Advice and support for young parents

It can be even harder without family or friends around to support you

Where can young parents go for support 474

Becoming a parent is hard work, and it can be even harder without family or friends around to support you. You may be worried about how you will cope financially or how you will continue to study or afford childcare while looking after your baby. The charity, Family Lives (details below) is available if you need someone to talk to. Call its free and confidential helpline on 0808 800 222. 


Some parents can get help with childcare costs by claiming Tax Credits. Single parents must work a minimum of 16 hours a week, while couples should both work at least 16 hours a week. Further information, such as how to claim, can be found by searching ‘tax credits’ at Gov.uk 

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit that has started to replace 6 existing benefits with a single monthly payment into your account. Universal Credit will help you to be better off in work, start a new job or work more hours. For more information visit the Gov.uk website.


Finding somewhere to live can be a real challenge and affording to live there can be even more difficult. Shelter is a national homeless and housing charity. Visit their website for advice about your situation. Alternatively, you can call Shelter on 0808 800 4444 between 8am-8pm Monday-Friday and 8am-5pm Saturday-Sunday.


Healthy Start is a scheme offering free vouchers which you can swap for milk, fruit, vegetables and vitamins. The vouchers are for people under 18 who are pregnant, or with children under four years old if you’re on benefits. Visit the Healthy Start NHS website to see if you qualify for vouchers.


You may be able to claim Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) if you’re studying in Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales. EMA is now closed in England. Search ‘EMA’ on the Gov.uk website for more information. If you're age 16-19 and studying in England, you may be able to apply for a 16-19 Bursary Fund. You can't apply if you're already studying at university, visit the Gov.uk website to see if you are eligible.

If you’re currently studying and wish to continue once your baby arrives, there is a scheme from the government that can help to make this possible. Care to Learn is for people under 20 who are already a parent at the start of their course and is designed to help with the cost of childcare while you are studying. To find out if you qualify visit the Gov.uk website. For more information call the Learner Support helpline on 0800 121 8989. For help filling in the form, visit your Connexions Personal Advisor, or ask your school or college for help.


According to a study by Barnardo’s, many young parents don’t realise what benefits they are entitled to and are often not claiming as much as they could. Find out about benefits from the Gov.uk website 

Maternity Grant

You could get a one-off payment of £500 to help towards the costs of having a child. This is known as a Sure Start Maternity Grant. You must claim the grant within 11 weeks of expecting the baby or within 3 months after the birth. Usually, to qualify for a Sure Start Maternity Grant there must be no other children in your family, and you must get one of certain benefits, such as income support or universal credit. Visit the Gov.uk website for further information.

Emotional support

You may feel like you are alone, but there are many services that offer support to young parents, such as Straight Talking the national teenage pregnancy charity. They employ teen parents who go into schools to talk to young people about what it really means to be a teenage parent. Check with your local Family Information Service to see whether they run young parents groups, where you’d be able to meet other mums or dads in the same situation as you.  

Further help

  • Brook is a national charity who offer sexual health advice to people under 25. 
  • Gov.uk and Citizens Advice for information about what benefits you qualify for and details of useful services. 
  • The charity, Gingerbread works locally and nationally with single parent families to help improve their lives.
  • The NHS Heathy Start scheme offers vouchers for free milk, fruit, vegetables and vitamins.
  • If you need to talk to someone in confidence about any problem The Mix is a free support service for young people under 25. Call 0808 808 4994 to speak to someone.

Family Lives CTA

Was this information useful?

Bounty is proud to bring you this information in partnership with www.familylives.org.uk. Family Lives is a charity with over three decades’ experience helping parents to deal with the changes that are a constant part of family life.  

Comments on this article are monitored but NOT answered. However, Family Lives has extensive advice on their website, live chat services, and information about befriending services and parenting/relationship support groups.  There is also a helpline and an online community forum offering a safe space for families to share dilemmas, experiences and issues with others who understand the ups and downs of family life. https://www.familylives.org.uk/how-we-can-help/forum-community/

Where can young parents go for support?