One-of-a-kind girls’ names
Browse our hand-picked one-off list of unusual baby names to help you decide on a really rare name for your baby girl
If it’s a really unique or unusual baby name choice you want for a little girl, we have searched through the 1000s of names that Bounty mums have chosen so far this year to bring you some inspiration for a name with an edge that certainly won’t be common in the playground.
Despite traditional names being a popular trend for girls' names, there are still some names that have slipped through the popularity net and could be an unusual choice but in-keeping with a national trend.
Bunty is a name chosen by less than a handful of parents this year and is associated with the 1950s as was the name of the popular magazine of the time for girls. An affectionate name years ago for Virginia, Ginnie is an unusual traditional choice today.
Another unusual choice for girls is Rebel which is bound to be inspired by Australian actress Rebel Wilson who starred in Pitch Perfect and also appeared in Bridesmaids.
Here is our chosen top 10 of unusual names for girls' that will be one of a kind in the playground.
- Sacha - Of Greek origin meaning "defender; protector of mankind".
- Brianne - Of Celtic origin is feminine of Brian, meaning "strong".
- Tasmin - Of English origin, a variant of the name Tamsin and a variant of the name Thomasina.
- Shana - Of Yiddish origin and means "lily" or "rose" in Hebrew.
- Bunty- Of English and Scottish origin meaning "plump."
- Ginnie - Derived from the Latin Verginius (springlike, flourishing), an old Roman family name which has its root in the Latin ver (spring).
- Pelia - Of Hebrew origin means miracle of God.
- Dante - Italain origin meaning the Italian form of "Durand" meaning enduring. Famous bearer.
- Chana - Of Hebrew origin meaning “He (God) has favored me (i.e., with a child)”.
- Rebel - Of English origin meaning outlaw or someone who plays by their own rules.
Other unusual names you may want to consider include:
- Soleil – Of French origin meaning sun.
- Meleri – Of Welsh origin and means an early saint.
- Althea – Of Greek origin meaning to heal.
- Petal – Of Greek origin and is a flower name.
- Posie – Of English origin and means pretty bouquet of flowers.
- Bloom – Of American/Jewish origin means iron worker.
- Laurie – Of Latin origin means from the place of the laurel leaves.
- Lavana – Of Sanskrit and Indian background meaning beautiful.
- Jacinta – Of Greek origin meaning beautiful and derived from the name of a precious stone.