MAT B1 Form: What is it and how do I get it?

You’ll need a MAT B1 form in order to claim for maternity pay and benefits. Find out how and when to get yours and what to do if you lose it.

Your MAT B1 form: The lowdown

What you need to know about your pregnancy MAT B1 form

Mum to be finding out about MAT B1 form

What is a MAT B1 form?

A MAT B1 form, also known as the Maternity Certificate, is a form from the government providing medical evidence of pregnancy and the baby's due date.  It is filled in by the pregnant woman’s doctor or midwife and issued to her after 20 weeks of pregnancy.

Bounty web registration

Why do I need a MAT B1 form?

You’ll need a MAT B1 form in order to claim for maternity pay and benefits, whether you’re unemployed, self employed, full time or part time. The form enables a pregnant woman to claim for:
Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) from her employer Maternity Allowance (MA) from Jobcentre Plus.

How and when do I get my MAT B1 form?

Your midwife or doctor should give you your MATB1 form when you reach your 20 week mark or soon after when you have your routine appointment. They cannot issue the form any earlier than this.

If you don’t receive your form, it’s worth giving your healthcare professional a nudge as you’ll need to get it to your employer in time to claim for Statutory Maternity Pay.

What do I need to do after I receive it? 

Once you receive your MAT B1 form, it’s important to make a copy before doing anything else.  If you have 2 jobs you’ll need to give the form to both employers, so making a copy speeds up the process.

Once you’ve given it to your employer you can start to  arrange your maternity pay and benefits. You’ll need to give your employer at least 28 days notice before you want to begin claiming your SMP, so make sure you leave yourself enough time to do this. 

What if I lose my MAT B1 form?

If you lose your MAT B1 form you’re able to apply for a duplicate but this may take some time to come through. We’d recommend keeping it in a safe place and making sure you have a spare copy incase you do lose it.

Matb1 form