Is a changing unit right for you?
When planning your baby's nursery, you may consider a changing unit, here's what you need to know
Buying a specially-designed changing unit can be a practical idea as it’s a convenient storage space for your baby’s essentials, plus a handy place to change their nappy. They can be pretty pricey though, so if your budget is tight, don’t worry as they’re not an absolutely essential purchase.
What to look for
If you do want a purpose-built changing unit, thinking about the space you have available is key. If you have room, a chest of drawers-style unit that includes a changing station on top is a good buy as you can use it to store clothes as well as nappy changing essentials, but they can be pretty bulky.
If space is more limited, you can buy smaller, narrower changing units with handy shelves underneath to store nappies, wipes, cotton wool and other essentials.
Another option is to buy a wooden cot-top changer that can sit across your baby’s cot when you need to change them, and then stored away underneath when not in use.
If space or money is very tight, buy a changing mat that you can simply put down anywhere. Look for one that’s padded, wipeclean and looks comfortable. You could even secure it to an existing chest of drawers for a do-it-yourself changing station.
Need to know
Choose a changing unit that’s the right height for you as continually stooping over at changing time can cause back pain.
NEVER leave your baby unattended at changing time – not even for a second. Even newborn babies can unexpectedly roll or move.
Many changing units are available as part of a coordinating nursery room set but are not essential.
- If you want a changing unit, make sure you have the room as they can be bulky
- Choose a cot-top changer or a simple mat as a cheaper, space-saving option
- A washable fabric mat cover offers extra warmth and comfort
Latest products on the market:
John Lewis Blue Star Changing Mat RRP £15.00
- This changing mat also comes in a floral design
- Has foam padding with a phthalate-free PVC cover
- It can be cleaned with warm water or wipe-cleaned
- The lining is washable at 40 degrees
We love the comfort of this changing mat and the option to wash the lining for added cleanliness.
Saplings Cot Top Changer RRP £44.95
- A great option for a nursery where space is an issue
- The changer fits on top of most cots and cot beds
- It’s easy to store away when it’s not in use
- The changer is just the base so you will need to buy a changing mat to go on it.
We love the way this changer securely fits onto most cots and cot beds for safe and easy nappy changing, however small your nursery.
L86 x W51 x H7cm
East Coast Nursery Clara Dresser RRP £94.99
- The dresser is available in white or antique finishes
- It includes an internal changing area for nappy changes
- There’s two storage shelves and towel rail for all your changing essentials
- The dresser is compact enough to fit in smaller nurseries
We love the simple design of this dresser that would suit any nursery and also is reasonably priced.
W81 x D49 x H93cm
Stokke Home Dresser & Changer RRP £349.00
The home dresser and changer is part of the Stokke Home nursery furniture collection
The dresser has 3 soft-closing drawers for nursery storage
It comes with a nappy changing station attached
The space under the dresser is designed for you to stand close to baby when changing
We love the simple design of this dresser and although not cheap, will suit any nursery and is part of a range including a bed and crib.
L73 x H88x W50cm