Our pick of i-Size car seats
i-Size car seats are a popular choice for parents, here's our pick of some of the best
All car seats are approved to a regulation, meaning they must pass certain tests before they can go on sale. The new European standard for child car seats, known as i-Size, forms part of regulation ECE R129. Therefore, I-Size seats are becoming more popular with parents but there are some things you need to look out for.
What to look for
If you’re looking to buy an i-Size car seat, you’ll need to check the list of approved vehicles that fit the seat and check the fitting in your car. You will need to check your child’s height rather than weight to ensure the seat is the correct size.
Need to know
At the moment, i-Size regulations are running parallel with the old car seat regulations and is expected to stay this way for now, but from 2017, i-Size will be the legal requirement for all car seats.
- Check your car is compatible with an i-Size car seat.
- Be sure to know your child’s height when choosing an i-Size seat.
- Check for the i-size/ECE R129 label.
Latest products on the market:
Joie i-Gemm RRP £130.00
- Has Tri-Protect™ headrest with patented Intelli-Fit™ memory foam
- The multi-height headrest and harness system can be adjusted simultaneously
- Includes a removable full body support cushion and extendable, removable sun canopy
- The covers are removable and machine washable
- The curved base also allows the seat to be gently rocked when not being used in car
We love the triprotect design in the headrest to protect baby’s head at all times, and the pursefriendly price point.
Suitable: birth to 13kg
Car seat weight: 4.8kg
Joie i-Anchor Advance RRP £175.00
- Can be used rearward facing until four years
- It has seven recline positions which can be operated when your child is in the seat
- Install using the i-Base Advance car seat base for added safety
- Convenient one-pull adjustable five-point harness
We love the deeply padded side wings and the ventilated seat back that keeps your little one cool on longer journeys.
Suitable: Birth to approx four years (18kg)
Car seat weight: 6.7kg
Maxi Cosi Pebble Plus i-Size car seat RRP £190.00
- Has a new high tech impact-absorbing side protection system
- Includes the baby-hugg inlay for a better fit and protection for newborns
- Memory buttons that allow for one hand release from a Maxi-Cosi or Quinny pushchair
- The innovative stay-open harness makes it easier to place and secure your child in the seat
- One-pull harness system and simultaneous safety harness and headrest adjustment
We love that when used with the compatible base, you can easily click it in and out of your car.
Suitable: birth to 1 year
Car seat weight: 4.5kg
Be Safe Izi Go Modular 0+ RRP £199.99
- Features extra side impact protection with a unique ‘SIP+’ shock-absorber
- The innovative egg shape design and light weight makes it easy to lift in and out of the car
- The seat is soft with padded memory foam inner seat sides and comfortable removable head cushions
- The easily adjustable 5-point harness has ‘tidy’ magnets to hold it open
- It can be installed with the Besafe iZi Modular i-Size base
We love that this is part of a modular iSize system, which also has a toddler seat available that can be fitted using the same base.
Suitable: birth to 13kg
Car seat weight: 3.7kg