The lowdown on sleeping bags
Sleeping bags are a safe option to keep baby warm in his cot, here are our top picks
Sleeping bags are a great and safe way to make sure your baby is comfortable at night. Babies can kick covers off and wake crying, or can wriggle underneath which can be dangerous, so sleeping bags help avoid this.
What to look for
Look for one with poppers, most have them, they make it easy to put on a tiny baby. They also tend to have a zip down the front, side or around the bottom which is essential for changing nappies at night.
Poppers under the arms are also a useful feature that can adjust the arm home to fit a smaller child. Look for soft, natural fabrics such as cotton, soft neck and sleeve edgings and covered zips if they touch baby’s skin. They have tog ratings, 2.5 togs tend to suit winter where as for warmer summers you can get a 1 tog option.
Need to know
Never use a sleeping bag with other blankets over the top. Check the temperature of the room to ensure your baby will not get too hot. Buy an inexpensive room thermometer or a monitor with a temperature feature. Make sure your baby’s sleeping bag conforms to the British Safety Standard.
Look for a sleeping bag that meets British Safety Standard regulations.
One with poppers for easy access to change nappies at night.
Make sure you monitor the room temperature so baby doesn’t get too hot or too cold.
Latest products on the market:
John Lewis Baby Hedgehog Crochet Sleeping bag RRP: £26
- This sleeping bag is made from premium cotton.
- It has a cute hedgehog crochet on the front.
- Comes in tog thickness.
We love the cute neutral design of this sleeping bag.
Sizes: 0-6 months, 6-12 months, 12-18 months
Grobag Travel Grobag RRP £31.99
- Designed to fit a 5-point travel harness for use in car seat or pushchair
- The outer layer is 100% woven cotton with 100% soft jersey filling
- Has a two-way front zip and back vent for effective ventilation for baby throughout the night.
- Machine-washable and can be tumble dried on low heat for easy cleaning
We love the versatile design which means you can travel much more easily with a sleeping baby in a car seat or pushchair.
Sizes: 0-6 months, 6-18 months and 18-36 months.
Babasac Multi Tog Baby Sleeping Bag RRP £37.99
- Lining zips out to change bag from 2.5 tog to 1.0 tog
- Extra underarm poppers for smaller babies
- Zip finishes at bottom for easier night-time changes
- Novel new cotton sleep bags with removable lining so you don’t have to buy summer and winter bags.
Sizes: 0-6, 6-18 and 18-36 months
Merino Kids GoGo Bag RRP £80.00
- First size suitable up to 2 years
- 100% natural with a pure wool inner lining and organic cotton outer
- The natural fabrics help regulate your child’s temperature through the night
- Easy to close with armhole poppers to adjust the sizing for your baby
- Shoulder poppers and a full length zip along the bag allow it to be opened out completely flat for nappy changes
Although this is an expensive sleeping bag, we love that it can be used all year round (and up to 2 years) as the merino wool keeps your child cool in summer and warm in winter.
Sizes: 0-2 years and 2-4 years.