Bathing your baby: What you need to know
From baby baths to water temperature, here's what you need to know about bathing your newborn
What to look for
Baby baths can range in price from under 310 to over 350 depending on their features.
If your budget is tight, a basic bath is fine, but it can be harder to fill and empty it. Look for a model that has shaped or curved edges to support your baby, meaning you’ll be able to have at least one hand free for washing.
A ‘plughole’ is useful to drain the water away and some higher end baths even change colour to show if the bath water is too hot.
This isn’t a necessity though; as you can buy bath thermometers quite cheaply to help you gauge how hot your baby’s bath water is.
Deluxe models might even have a built-in weighing scale or multi-task as part of a changing unit, and some can even fold flat for easier storage.
A cheaper option is to buy a support that sits in the bath. They tend to be more compact than a baby bath, so easier to store if space is an issue. They can range in price from a few pounds for a simple model made out of foam, to over 330 for one with a curving ergonomic design.
Need to know
A baby bath is not an absolutely essential purchase. Baby baths are only used for the first few months, so think about how often you’d actually use it – and how much you really need to spend and where you’ll store it.
- Choose between a baby bath and a bath support
- Invest in a bath thermometer to make sure your baby’s bath water isn’t too hot
- Baby baths can range in price so consider what features you really need
Latest products on the market:
Strata Little Star Baby Bath tub RRP £10.49
- This tub is lightweight and has a compact design that makes it convenient to store when not in use.
- It has a drainer to drain out the water and its carry handles make it easy to move.
- Carry handles make it easy to move and empty and there is a ledge at one end to keep sponges to hand.It's easy to clean.
We love the great value of this baby bath.
Shnuggle Shnuggle Bath RRP £24.98
The Shnuggle bath has been created for a safe and secure place to bath your baby
- Suitable from newborn, this bath has a ‘bum bump’ to help support your baby in a more upright position
- Has a foam backrest for baby’s increased comfort when bathing
- Compact size so easy to store
We love the secure way baby can sit in this bath to enjoy bath time.
Aqua Scale Baby Bath & Scales RRP £59.99
- A comfortable secure bath for your baby that can also weigh them
- Can also measure the temperature of the bath water
- Ergonomically designed to support with anti-slip panels
- Can weigh babies from birth to around two years old
Although an expensive choice for a baby bath, we love that it has so many features and is a great way to keep an eye on baby’s weight during the early days.